Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day i went and filled up the winter beater at Noco on Grand Island, NY and noticed..the pump said 87 and underneath was a "10% E" sticker, then the same for the 89 nozzle, but underneath the 91 was a No Ethanol sticker. i thought to myself can it be! No ethanol gas!?! well im tuned with a Livernois 93 octane tune, so my ultimate question is, if i were to throw the 91 no ethanol would I reach better performance and MPG's than the 93 with 10%? i guess it would really come down to wether or not the tune is tuned for the ethanol or not? Im curious to try it and read all my data via my Dashboss. Does anyone have any existing expirments with number data to show one from the other?! Thanks in advance!

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, so better MPG with the same power? lol if thats the case sounds like 91 pure hands down lol

·
G8 GT GUY
745 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if all the Noco stations have it..I'll have to check

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen you before i believe on the Blvd in Niagara Falls! do you have supercharged badges on you car?! If so....that thing is mean!! but im thinking only the Noco on the island has it bc its the Island and everyone has a boat in which you need to run pure stuff haha

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Maybe the sticker fell off? Or a slick trickster removed it.

I find it hard to believe that one doesn't contain ethanol, when the other two do.

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its a sticker that legit says No Ethanol lol its real, like i said too, Grand Island is..well an island, and almost everyone has a boat, and there are multiple boat launches, so thats probably the reasoning why they sell it, its also on the http://pure-gas.org website, i just wish i had some numbers to back up the theories haha

·
Registered
457 Posts
I find it hard to believe that one doesn't contain ethanol, when the other two do.
It is very common around me for premium to contain no ethanol while the two lower grades do. It's either 93 octane with ethanol or 91 without. It's also usually advertised a no ethanol recreational fuel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought Ethanol boosted octane rating? So you would see better gas mileage due to no ethanol, but possibly lower power because you get a tiny bit of knock due to lower octane. I guess it doesn't matter why the octane is lower, whether due to lack of ethanol or just lower because it's 91, you would still lose power unless their 93 tune is conservative.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I thought Ethanol boosted octane rating? So you would see better gas mileage due to no ethanol, but possibly lower power because you get a tiny bit of knock due to lower octane. I guess it doesn't matter why the octane is lower, whether due to lack of ethanol or just lower because it's 91, you would still lose power unless their 93 tune is conservative.
That was my thought too. The higher the ethanol, the more power you can achieve, but the worse the gas mileage.

·
G8 GT GUY
745 Posts
I have seen you before i believe on the Blvd in Niagara Falls! do you have supercharged badges on you car?! If so....that thing is mean!! but im thinking only the Noco on the island has it bc its the Island and everyone has a boat in which you need to run pure stuff haha
Yeah, I have the badges on the small window on each side, it could have been me. It make sense now with the all the boats on GI why they would carry the 91 minus ethanol. BTW on another note I noticed a station that sells E85 now in the falls on NF blvd. if I ever upgrade my fuel pump it may be an option for me.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wondered about all this. I have a gas station 20 min away from me, time permitting i go and get 93 octane ethanol free......most time Shell 93 with 10%.......I have not felt any difference.....maybe if i go for consecutive ethanol free i will feel a change.......?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts