Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like lots of forum members, like me, like to have info on the other cars out there.

Drove the SHO taurus--I have grown to really like the look of it and they are already getting 12.7s-12.8s with just a tune. Plus..living in Michigan and having such a great experience with my AWD/performance car (335xi) I was really interested in the awd.

It has a great cockpit--look and feel, plus technology, is outstanding. Very attractive and functional. The ride is great too--an excellent balance between performance and comfort. Nice, firm suspension and fun handling.

Acceleration is outstanding, smooth and linear..especially from a roll. Plenty of power to play, pass, or merge. Launches are not as good as you would expect with AWD--lots of front wheel spin.

here was the killer for me: it feels like a front wheel drive car. There is plenty of torque steer. My awd BMW --you would never know on a dry road that it was awd--feels like rwd. But launches like a maniac. Not the SHO--just didin't like the feel of it. Plus, at 6'3 I need leg room and the drivers left leg room was VERY limited and cramped by the wheel well intruding into the car. Overall--hell of a car but just not for me.

Last nite--drove the new 550. wow. Thats all I can say. Wow. typical smooth, buttery BMW feel on curves. 400hp/450tq twin turbo mated to an 8 speed tranny--creates thrust and silky smooth acceleration instantly and across the power band at any speed. They have stayed ahead of the competition -in my humble opinion- on balancing luxury and performance ( I didn't say value-considering the high price) in a full sized luxury sedan. There is already a handheld tune available to add 50 rwhp/60rwtq if you want to notch it up. No reports yet on times for this vehicle although I suspect low 13s and 4.8ish 0-60 stock. what a great feeling car though--plenty of room too. In october they will release an AWD version just as they have for the 750. Definitely on my list--it is no CTS-V but it is an amazing vehicle nonetheless.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1005_2011_bmw_550i_drive/index.html

FYI

·
Registered
186 Posts
I guess not all AWD systems are created equal. The SHO's system is FWD-based and the BMW's is RWD-based. I haven't driven the Taurus but I guess it SHOws. (sorry I had to lol)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I guess not all AWD systems are created equal. The SHO's system is FWD-based and the BMW's is RWD-based. I haven't driven the Taurus but I guess it SHOws. (sorry I had to lol)
I think the SHO has a true Haldex system...strange that it doesnt drive that well. My mazdaspeed6 couldnt put more than 50 percent out back, and that thing could still wag the tail at will; it also pulled 1.7 60's without slipping the fronts on 215 tires hehe

Does the SHO have an LSD in the back? I remember reading about sport gearing on a performance package of some sort...perhaps included there

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Last nite--drove the new 550. wow. Thats all I can say. Wow. typical smooth, buttery BMW feel on curves. 400hp/450tq twin turbo mated to an 8 speed tranny--creates thrust and silky smooth acceleration instantly and across the power band at any speed. They have stayed ahead of the competition -in my humble opinion- on balancing luxury and performance ( I didn't say value-considering the high price) in a full sized luxury sedan.
listed as midsize, hefty curb weight of 4343 lbs. - fatty.
still nice though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the SHO is an old persons quick car, it's freaky pig-ish.
supposed to be quick off the line or on a low roll, but in comparison to the other 4 doors out there, G8, SRT8 and such, it's got no chance.

I absolutely slaughtered one from a 1st gear roll. way in front of him by 60. the driver definitely wasnt happy, as he instigated it.
in my SRT, i was looking UP at him!

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the BMW's are the rims. They're just downright small and bland for a BMW. You have to go to their high end cars (like high end 6 and 7 series) to get GOOD looking 19'' rims.

Otherwise the BMW is damn good. All the luxury + power.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I test drove the new SHO last week and loved it. Great design and look, and nice power. Tuned would be fun! Won't be giving up my current G8 for it, but I'll look for them in a few years when the right used one comes along. Can't pay 40K for that car. Oh, and I am a little old, so I guess it's the perfect car for me! :)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Good write-up! At 4300lbs surprised about the leg room!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the SHO is an old persons quick car, it's freaky pig-ish.
supposed to be quick off the line or on a low roll, but in comparison to the other 4 doors out there, G8, SRT8 and such, it's got no chance.

I absolutely slaughtered one from a 1st gear roll. way in front of him by 60. the driver definitely wasnt happy, as he instigated it.
in my SRT, i was looking UP at him!
Oh so pretty obvious you've read nothing about the SHO thats relevant and obvious you haven't driven one either - they're getting into mid/high 12's w/ tune only bro....NO G8GT has done that TUNE ONLY.

So, if you consider a tune a "chance", then yes it certainly has one.

I second the opinion that the 550 is a SICK RIDE - that's my ultimate car 550 w/ a 6 speed manual and leather interior...all I need, the G8 is a great substitute for 1/2 the money though,

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
srt8/bmw thanks for the write up. Good info here. I saw a Sho on the SHOwroom floor when I went to test out the new 5.0 and I was shocked at how tall the damn thing was. Looks like a blimp on wheels. The looks aren't for me but the car was impossibly well refined considering it is still just a ford. I've never seen one on the road though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why would you give up your CTS-V for one of these inferior cars? Doesn't your car boast 556 hp or something crazy like that? I would stay with the ride you've got if that is the case. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Why would you give up your CTS-V for one of these inferior cars? Doesn't your car boast 556 hp or something crazy like that? I would stay with the ride you've got if that is the case. Just my .02
Thinking maybe he would keep the V too. Maybe the 550 would be a replacement for the 300?

I like the new 5 series, just wish I wasn't too cheap to buy one lol! I like it better than the 3 as it's too small for a sedan for me. I do like the look of the 3 series coupes though. But to be completely honest, I think the G8 looks better than all of them...subjective I know. Best of both worlds would be if I could get a G8 with BMW refinement/material quality for oh lets say $30K haahaa in my dreams.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thats a GREAT question/point. I hope not to..but..with 4 cars in the garage (sold the srt8) and two kids approaching college...cash flow is king as you all know.

Typically--I like to keep a car fro 2 years or 35K miles. But who knows..I am just messing around with looking. The V sits in th garage pretty continouslly from November through february and often well into March or beyond.

I will say--I can LOVE many cars (obviolusly lol) and it doesn't have to be the fastest for me to love it. It just needs to be fast and feel good!

I am always "looking" at the latest and greatest. Heck--inside scoop is the new 2011 300C will be 400hp, and the SRT8 will be the new 6.4 litre with somewhere north of 480hp/460/tq and more importantly- a new ZF 8 speed tranny -same as whatsw in the new BMWs. Now that would be compelling to me...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thinking maybe he would keep the V too. Maybe the 550 would be a replacement for the 300?

I like the new 5 series, just wish I wasn't too cheap to buy one lol! I like it better than the 3 as it's too small for a sedan for me. I do like the look of the 3 series coupes though. But to be completely honest, I think the G8 looks better than all of them...subjective I know. Best of both worlds would be if I could get a G8 with BMW refinement/material quality for oh lets say $30K haahaa in my dreams.
I have to agree--I think in the "looks" department, GM hit a home run with the G8. I turn my head every time I see one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just trade in 3 of your cars on the new Nissan GTR and be done with it. Too many choices lead to indecision. I keep it simple, 1 car to 1 person. Lol!

thats a GREAT question/point. I hope not to..but..with 4 cars in the garage (sold the srt8) and two kids approaching college...cash flow is king as you all know.

Typically--I like to keep a car fro 2 years or 35K miles. But who knows..I am just messing around with looking. The V sits in th garage pretty continouslly from November through february and often well into March or beyond.

I will say--I can LOVE many cars (obviolusly lol) and it doesn't have to be the fastest for me to love it. It just needs to be fast and feel good!

I am always "looking" at the latest and greatest. Heck--inside scoop is the new 2011 300C will be 400hp, and the SRT8 will be the new 6.4 litre with somewhere north of 480hp/460/tq and more importantly- a new ZF 8 speed tranny -same as whatsw in the new BMWs. Now that would be compelling to me...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Just trade in 3 of your cars on the new Nissan GTR and be done with it. Too many choices lead to indecision. I keep it simple, 1 car to 1 person. Lol!
I'd prefer his CTS-V to that over-hyped mound of crap... He could just buy a Z06 if he wanted a car that would outperform the GTR, and he wouldn't have to trade 3 of his cars for it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
??? the Z06 and GT-R are comparable in price.....both around $80k
Sure, that's MSRP... GT-Rs are being marked up to much higher prices, or at least were last I heard.

Regardless, you get better performance for the same or less money with the Z06.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.