Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the part number and is this available? Or do I need to get the whole bracket? The belt has never thrown on this car, but I have narrowed the squeaking sound down to this pulley. WD-40 will quiet her down for a few days, then the squeaking slowly returns.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
If you are referring to the original OEM single pulley version (tensioner only), Amazon sells that AC Delco OEM tensioner assembly for $61 Its P/N is 12595289. Just the pulley alone can be had from auto parts places like O'Reilly's, but I think its cost is almost the same as the entire AC Delco assembly.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are referring to the original OEM single pulley version (tensioner only), Amazon sells that AC Delco OEM tensioner assembly for $61 Its P/N is 12595289. Just the pulley alone can be had from auto parts places like O'Reilly's, but I think its cost is almost the same as the entire AC Delco assembly.
Not the pulley on the tensioner. The idler pulley on the front of the compressor mount is the one that is squeaking.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Not the pulley on the tensioner. The idler pulley on the front of the compressor mount is the one that is squeaking.
Am a wee bit confused, so you're saying the a/c compressor has both an idler pulley and a belt tensioner assembly? Only see the belt tensioner assemby with a tensioner pulley attatched. An idler pulley would be "free standing" not affixed to the belt tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Am a wee bit confused, so you're saying the a/c compressor has both an idler pulley and a belt tensioner assembly? Only see the belt tensioner assemby with a tensioner pulley attatched. An idler pulley would be "free standing" not affixed to the belt tensioner.

View attachment 179281
That image is very small.

At any rate, there's an updated A/C bracket that has a tensioner and an idler pulley. This prevents the belt from jumping off due to certain harmonics.
16664999_1605092092853164_588840313466741092_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Indeed. Presuming the original poster installed the revised Holden air conditioner compressor bracket. Assumed he hadn't since it was initially stated "the belt has never thrown on this car" which the bracket was designed to eliminate.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
If the problem is the idler pulley on the revised Holden bracket either, 1) Do as JAM mentioned. 2.) Press out the old bearing and press in a new bearing 3. Visit the local parts store and match the pulley to one they have in stock. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I see that "nda9090" installed the revised 2 pulley bracket assy back in July 2018. If he can't fix that fixed pulley, maybe someone can verify the correct P/N for a replacement .

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are all correct. I did install the revised 2 pulley bracket, on my G8. The problem now is on my wife's G8. And I don't know where I was looking, but you are correct: it is the tensioner pulley on the AC bracket that is making the noise. Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction, and not roasting me for being an idiot. Love this G8board.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
No worries and Gates makes the air conditioner tensioner pulley, check the link in post #2. Any particular.reason(s) you opted to not install the revised bracket on the other G8?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife's G8 has DOD delete with a stock LS3 cam, LS7 lifters and LS2 timing set, Solo catback and RotoFab. She isn't concerned about more power, and it has never thrown the AC belt.
My G8 started throwing the belt at high rpm soon after I put LT headers on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My tensioner retaining bolt hole stripped threads so now I have to replace the bracket.... its such a B on this car.... FML. At least the winter is coming so I won't be needing A/C. So thats good.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My tensioner retaining bolt hole stripped threads so now I have to replace the bracket.... its such a B on this car.... FML. At least the winter is coming so I won't be needing A/C. So thats good.
Having 2 people to swap that bracket really helps. One under the car to turn the wrenches and one up top to see the action.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New tensioner got here on Friday. It took all of 5 minutes to get the tools, remove the belt, swap the part, replace the belt, and put the tools away. Thanks for the help, everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have the part number and is this available? Or do I need to get the whole bracket? The belt has never thrown on this car, but I have narrowed the squeaking sound down to this pulley. WD-40 will quiet her down for a few days, then the squeaking slowly returns.
A/C belt tensioner: #12595289 (original replacement)
A!C belt tensioner upgrade #92244378 (PPV version -- need a different (longer) belt. I didnt write that one down...sorry)

I used to run mine off quite a bit, until i installed the PPV version, years ago... PPV version is an entirely different bracket that hosts two (2) tensioners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts