Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long weekend,and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Therefore,I knew something would put a damper on it somehow. I just had a hunch. It has been over a year and a half since we had a real issue other than my wife's accident.

I was outside when my wife came home. I saw her turn on our street,and I told myself to go inside because I always try to listen for any issue when she is driving up. Just didn't want any drama yesterday.

Sure enough, I hear something not quite right under the hood. I open the hood,and I narrow it down to the A/C compressor. We did have an issue as outlined in this thread a while back.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/19-g8-gt-talk-v8/248506-strange-c-issue.html

It makes a noise when you turn the air on and off. You can't hear it all the time. Clutch? Whole compressor? Or, just need some refrigerant?

I made a video on my phone. The quality is not very good,but you can hear the noise pretty clearly. The surface rust on that clamp is bothering me too.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Have you ever touched the A/C system at all for any kind of maintenance?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tough call on A/C work if you don't have the tools.

You could check it with those gauges that come with the refrigerant cans if you don't have a gauge set and hoses. It may need refrigerant, but if it does that means you have a leak.

With a rotary vane (which I am pretty sure these are) compressor, the vanes can slap the compression chamber wall when the differential is too high. It usually is because there isn't enough suction pressure to keep the vane properly seated against the wall, so it bounces causing a rattling noise.

A recharge will solve a problem like that. So, check the gas.

If the charge is fine, the compressor may be on its way out; however I'm not willing to write it off just yet. (not that I could without physically seeing the car).

If it has a leak, though... You'll have to take it to a shop. You can't fix a leak and just add gas without drawing a vacuum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if the noise is a pulley screeching or squealing noise but if it is, I've had recent success in removing the compressor plate and pulley assembly and replacing the pulley bearing.

rare.find

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Not sure if the noise is a pulley screeching or squealing noise but if it is, I've had recent success in removing the compressor plate and pulley assembly and replacing the pulley bearing.

rare.find
rare,
How did you go about getting the plate off so bearing could be replaced.
Thank you

S.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The first thing to do would be to remove the ac belt and spin the compressor pulley. If it's not turning freely or is making a noise when spinning more than likely it's the pulley bearing.

There a video included in about the forth post in the below link. A similar compressor is shown. The only real issue is holding the pulley stationary while turning the center bolt. Once the bolt is loosened, there are a couple of snap rings to remove and the pulley slides off. The bearing is in the backside of the pulley.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/232705-has-anyone-changed-ac-compressor-bearing.html#/topics/232705?page=1&_k=zt6ys4

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Video

Got it now.. It does look a little on the easy side..

Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is relatively easy but If you go this route, you may want to have someone press the bearing out. The pulley is plastic and fragile.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Press

It is relatively easy but If you go this route, you may want to have someone press the bearing out. The pulley is plastic and fragile.
I have a press and a good assortment of bearing/seal drivers and such. I have the new bearing i'm just surprised how long those little guy's last spinning the way they do. They must know something that I don't which wouldn't be to hard.
Push come to shove i'll clean the old one and fill it with some high temp grease. A friend showed me how to do that with a idler pulley late one night when the parts place was already closed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A/C has been working fine,but I did notice something tonight. I made a mark on the tensioner pulley for the A/C to see if the pulley was turning. The mark stayed in the same place. So is the tensioner bad,or just the pulley itself?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
That sounds like the pulley is bad. I've had them go bad on other cars Also it didn't take very long
for things to heat up and go south really quick. That makes for a lot heat. When you remove the old one
you should be able to tell if the tensioner is working. The bearing in those pulleys is small so they go
bad. You can buy the whole part or just the pulley

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a long weekend,and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Therefore,I knew something would put a damper on it somehow. I just had a hunch. It has been over a year and a half since we had a real issue other than my wife's accident.

I was outside when my wife came home. I saw her turn on our street,and I told myself to go inside because I always try to listen for any issue when she is driving up. Just didn't want any drama yesterday.

Sure enough, I hear something not quite right under the hood. I open the hood,and I narrow it down to the A/C compressor. We did have an issue as outlined in this thread a while back.

Strange A/C issue

It makes a noise when you turn the air on and off. You can't hear it all the time. Clutch? Whole compressor? Or, just need some refrigerant?

I made a video on my phone. The quality is not very good,but you can hear the noise pretty clearly. The surface rust on that clamp is bothering me too.

Sorry for bringing an old post back. But what ended up being your final result with this one? Compressor go bad? Tensioner pulley bad? I have the same noise coming from my compressor only for a few seconds when the compressor is started then it smooths out. Then again when the compressor is shut off.

This is the second compressor on the car, and I checked the refrigerant charge and that all appears normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts