Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know about the AC belt throwing, but has anyone here had their tensioner break? After my cam upgrade, my AC belt would throw pretty often, although then I noticed that my AC tensioner itself was actually broken. There was a piece of the metal that was missing and the tensioner wouldn't apply full tension anymore. I bought and installed a new one about a month ago and now this one broke the exact same way! Given the price of the tensioner, I'm thinking I should just get the upgraded one, but wanted to see if others have experienced this first.

Here's what the damage looks like:

Old tensioner:

New Tensioner:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Interesting and presume the original unit was replaced with a factory AcDelco part. Unsure if the revised bracket will remedy the problem or if there is an underlying condition causing such to reoccur. Hopefully, another member will be able to shed some light on the situation. Have seen larger (seemingly more robust belt tensioners) on smaller engines. Good luck

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, it was replaced with the ACDelco 12595289 Tensioner.
I'm somewhat worried to replace with the same tensioner as just last week the ac belt took the drive belt with it as well. I also saw another thread here where someone had their AC compressor pulley damaged which is a $500 part.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Understood. The car shouldn't keep "destroying" air conditioner tensioners (two) unless 1) the part is inferior or 2) something else is precipitating such occurrences. Would be hesitant as well to purchase another AcDelco tensioner, much less the updated bracket and pulley, until the exact cuplrit(s) are identified.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belt pops off, tensioner slams back with spring pressure and cracks housing
That's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to see if others had a similar issue when their belt popped off. I imagine the new bracket would solve both these issues as the belt would no longer come off, thus the pulley wouldn't break.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to see if others had a similar issue when their belt popped off. I imagine the new bracket would solve both these issues as the belt would no longer come off, thus the pulley wouldn't break.
I'm by no means a skilled mechanic, but I was able to install the aussie revised bracket myself with some basic tools and extensions in 3 hours with a lot of cussing. Totally worth the upgrade. There is a write-up somewhere on this forum. My advice would be to shop on eBay cuz that aud to usd conversion rate can be quite favorable - got both the new belt and the bracket for 180ish...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Trenton Man
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing