Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas is considering raising the registration fees by $50 - almost double!

Legislation (H.B. 2316) has been introduced in the Texas Legislature to add an additional fee of $50 to the vehicle registration and renewal fees. The extra $50 would be deposited into the Texas Mobility Fund.

I Urge You to Contact Members of the Texas House Appropriations Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2316
•The Mobility Fund is a revolving fund used to finance the construction, reconstruction, acquisition and expansion of state highways, including costs of any necessary design and costs of acquisition of rights-of-way. The Fund may also be used to provide payment of a portion of the costs of constructing and providing toll roads and other public transportation projects.

•H.B. 2316 would take effect on September 1, 2013 if the constitutional amendment proposed by the Legislature to allow the imposition of an additional motor vehicle registration fee is approved by the voters.

•H.B. 2316 makes no special exception for antiques, custom vehicles or street rods that constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet, are infrequently operated and deserving of lower registration fees.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Texas House Appropriations Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 2316.

Link to original document, and commitee email addy's
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2013TX4&g=SEMAGA

Looks to me like they are trying to split out the departments of Public safety (DPS) and highways, and in doing so will increase the state budget by Millions!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ours in Illinois have been $95+ for years now. More money and it seems like the roads are never totally fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When additional funds are needed for additional projects - fine. This is more money for bigger government...Not in my Texas!

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
this is alittle something to read up on some...

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please feel free to pass this on to any other message boards you may frequent. I'd love to see the email boxes/voicemail boxes of our elected officials clogged with responses.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Oh no not a whole $50! LMAO!!! Sorry Todd I can't help but laugh mine is $195 every 2 years!!! Then shortly after you re-register you are invited to come get your emissions inspection done Sure its only $14 but that takes the bi-yearly registration to over $200!

But you are right thats how it starts! $10 here, $20 there, another $50 over there and the state robs you without a gun!!

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
If they raise ours $50 a year, it'll make ours more than yours (jackalope) @ around $120/yr for the average vehicle. And our yearly inspection around here is $28. It's not a lot, but there are other things going up too and all of them combined is squeezing everybody. Okay, off my soapbox. -I emailed the whole committee.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HA!!
You guys don't want to know what we pay in CA. Our registration is every year.
I'm going to register my car in TX. JK

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't mind the extra $50 since its still less than most states. I lived in Denver back in 93 and was going to purchase a new truck there until I found out the registration was over $400/yr.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yearly inspection where I work and Todd lives is $39.50/yr I believe...I'm in a non emissions county (so far) and I only pay $14.50/yr and was going to get my car inspected one time after work...good thing I asked first cause they said even though I'm registered in a non-emissions county I would still have to pay their $39.50 to get it inspected...needless to say but I made a mad dash back to my county quick...LOL !!!

I wanna be like Hawaii...pay for registration one time when you buy the car and then just a "safety check" yearly...talked to a LEO while I was out there one time and he said we "were getting screwed on the mainland...LOL !!! "

·
Fort Worth, TX
166 Posts
I own two cars, a truck, two motorcycles, and three trailers. Imagine what I will be paying...

·
Registered
50 Posts
HA!!
You guys don't want to know what we pay in CA. Our registration is every year.
I'm going to register my car in TX. JK
I was thinking the same exact thing...if you ask me, they have it easy compared to California. But I dont blame you for being angry that the price is raising, I would be mad too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
gee you guys get it good,

try this

registration fee $232.30
TAC charge $422.00 (personal liability insurance is built into reg fee)
insurance duty $42.20 (10% gst on insurance)
total per year $696.20

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for those that think that 120 a year is cheap, the states all have differsnt ways of paying for things.
Just imagine if they doubled your fees (a $250 increase in one year, Jack) in one year in order to create a new red tape machine. This is how it starts. This is why you now pay 250 a year, when 40 years ago it was 20.
You have to let them know it's unacceptable.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It costs me $150 every 2 years for the G8. It seems to go up every couple of years. Inspections (emissions) cost $38/year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think we would all agree that we don’t want higher fees. However, how do we expect to pay for roads? The gas tax has not changed since 1991. The gas tax is a flat rate and not a percentage of per gallon price. So while the cost of gasoline has risen over time, that increase is only paying for the oil and profits of the oil companies. As the gas mileage efficiency requirements for cars go up in an effort to lesson our dependence on foreign oil and lessen the impact on the environment, the gas tax fund isn't growing at the same rate as the vehicle miles travelled on our system. What about hybrids and electric vehicles? They place just as much wear and tear on the transportation system, but don’t pay as much or potentially don’t pay anything into funds to maintain the system.

In response to fighting higher gas taxes, we now see toll roads. People don’t want those either. Somewhere along the way we have to pay for what we want. We continue to grow and have needs to expand the system and at the same time we have aging infrastructure that needs to be maintained and/or replaced. Besides impacts in urban areas, our rural road systems are taking a beating with the recent increases in natural gas drilling and oil production in the state. Those roads were not designed to sustain the large trucks that are now wearing those roads quickly. As a result, they are looking at using some of the royalties from that production to help with transportation. This fund has typically been used as the State’s rainy day fund.

As for the gas tax, all the money collected for that doesn’t even go 100% to transportation. It is also used to fund the Department of Public Safety and education within the state. The vehicle taxes paid when purchasing a new car don't all go to transportation either.

We have a problem that somehow needs to solved. It is either going to take more fees or getting our legislators to appropriate all transportation related funding sources to transportation and not other uses. If that doesn’t happen, then some other revenue source needs to be created somewhere and it should be fair for all users. The other option is not to drive as much and live closer to work. So far the only thing that has reduced our desire to drive are gas prices getting higher than we can afford.

http://www.texaspatriotspac.com/art...sen-williams-close-transportation-funding-gap

Look at graph on page 2 for gas tax buying power
http://www.nctcog.org/trans/legislative/FundingShortfall.pdf

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you have some of it backwards...according to your link, they want to raid the rainy day fund to pay for roads, since the road fund (highway budget) got raided to pay for other things (not education - there are specific rules for education funding. That's just the rallying cry that they use to get more of your money!).

So they claim to need more money (because they were allowed to raid the highway fund to pay for pet projects). Why not raise the fuel tax - that would hit everyone equally; taxpayers and businesses. The reason is exactly that! they ONLY want the taxpayer to pay for the abuse of roads by big trucks, not the actual people responsible for the damage.

as to your comment about paying for what we want - HOGWASH. I am willing to pay for what we NEED - not what some POLITICIAN thinks we WANT. Just look at the rediculous new toll road that parallels HWY 35...they even raised the speed limit on it to try to get people to use it...still not many takers. It was not needed - just a politicians good idea...that we partially paid for (with the current use, the tolls will NEVER repay the debt).

The ONLY way to restore our budgetary restraint is to STARVE the government. Think of it like losing weight. You are not going to lose weight by asking for more food. Until we demand fiscal restraint, we will eat ourselves into bankruptcy. Anyone who thinks it will all work out if we only give them more money is flawed in their thinking.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The problem with raising the cost is that it's not offsetting other high cost items we have here. I pay an ungodly amount of property taxes. This is offset by not having a state income tax as well as other low cost "products" like low vehicle registration costs. Couple that with increasing annual inspection costs and this is pretty much a kick in the stomach for most of us.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here's another one for ya...

I just got hit with a "tx oil reimbursement tax" today at WallyWorld on 6 quarts of Mobil 1 !!!

I asked about it and the lady behind the counter said they just started this yesterday...Son of a [email protected]# !!! Didn't see that one coming !!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts