Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I would love to dive into my northstar swap, I can't get me head away from a twin turbo V6. So I am still deciding between the two. That being said, I have my modified 6L50 which I started tuning this week and I've been trying to get it to shift to my liking. The reasons that my 6 speed and 3.45 gears weren't a finished product were because:

1. Under WOT it would hit the rev limiter before shifting
2. Sport/Manual mode did not work because the donor car I got the transmission out of used the hardwired method to wire the shifter vs the serial method the G8 uses.

The first problem I was able to iron out with HP tuners in about an hour of trial and error.

The second issue, however, was not as simple. I first tried the obvious- changing the option from hardwired to serial. But that did nothing. I sat around scratching my head trying to figure out how I could do it and on my way home tonight it hit me-

I took a stock G8 GT transmission tune. Flashed the module with the whole package and then wrote my calibrations into that software. And for an extra two credits, I now have a fully functional and seamless six speed automatic in a V6 G8.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Don't mind the CEL, it is because the ECM lost communication during the flash and I was too excited to test it to bother clearing it before the road test lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is really good news.. Glad you ironed it out. maybe now us V6ers can start making some horsepower..

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Love the 6 speed swap. I personally am against the Northstar motor due to my disdain and hatred for it from experience. The twin turbo would be awesome, but if you were going to do a V8 swap just drop an LS motor in it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the 6 speed swap. I personally am against the Northstar motor due to my disdain and hatred for it from experience. The twin turbo would be awesome, but if you were going to do a V8 swap just drop an LS motor in it.

I'm doing serious research on turbos as we speak

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
the newer camaro heads are set up for turbos and the cts has the turbos

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you say swap a v8 in there what all would we have to do/ replace along with it. I would think a transmission. I really think about doing that some days but i don't really know how much it'll cost.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say swap a v8 in there what all would we have to do/ replace along with it. I would think a transmission. I really think about doing that some days but i don't really know how much it'll cost.

Just the basics are over 6k in parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts