Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on the way to work I am minding my own, enjoying some good music and just over all taking it easy before work. When a younger fellow in a bright red Kia Forte Coupe runs up on me. Before he could pass me a car entered the highway from really bad driveway so the kid gets on the brakes a little and I speed up so he could get over. I guess hearing my exhaust and seeing my car pull away from him made him want to play when I was just trying to be nice. So he gets in behind me passes the car that pulled out in front of him and guns it to get back beside me. I am runing just above 65 cruising again at this point, he gets beside and just sits there, then gooses it a few times and I could tell he kept looking over to see if I would bite. I am thinking at this REALLy kid come now don't push this you are going to get your feeling hurt. But didn't stop and just kept it up. So I look over make eye contact with him and he has this huge S**t eating grin on his face. I look back ahead and th eroad is empty as can be. So I think to myself okay kid I give you a bit of thrill. I goose the throttle, he matches, so I do just a but more and he matches, I do this until we are around 85 when he just goes all out and floors it he pulls out till the back of his door are even with my bumber and I just stay there with him. once we hit 95 I am ready to show a car that really is FAST. I almost floor as there is no real need to go all out, the car down shifts and I just launch out pass him and once I hit 115, I let off and let the car coast he catches up and trys to do the fly by thing (never understand way they do that) at which point I just get into it again and leave him again. That time I guees he had enough and he tucks in behind me and we slow down to normal driving again. He stays there the rest of the trip into to town. The best thing about it all is I was going to be late getting to work not that I really cared but Kia Kid got me to work on time and gave me a smile at the same time. All in all a good morning drive. I am hoping the kid just wanted to see what my car could do and not that he thought he really had a chance.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Some kids feel that little bit of power when they mash the go pedal and think their car is fast. It's a matter of perspective really... Before we got Christine we had an '04 Focus Wagon with the 2.3 liter in it. That little thing sure seemed like it had power if you hadn't driven a real car. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Man, what is it with Kia Forte coupe people? They always seem to have a chip on their shoulders and think they're the hottest thing around. They're nice looking cars, but that's pretty much where the compliments end :).

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,611 Posts
I get extremely nice cars that try and race me, crotch rockets, and Prius'. I keep hearing how those Prius' have that amazing torque.:gr_jest:

All in good fun though. I use to drive a slower car and I would try to race specific people to see what their car looked like launching. So, in the end, I can't really say anything. I will say that Genesis and those new BR-Z/FR-S drivers always look at me and look back when I catch them. Must be shame?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tough day for Hyundai/Kia; had a 2.0t sonata try me this morning while driving to work. I think his perspective of a fast car changed too.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Tough day for Hyundai/Kia; had a 2.0t sonata try me this morning while driving to work. I think his perspective of a fast car changed too.
Funny... That's my Wife's car (SE). I actually enjoy driving it...it's no true sports sedan, but it is "sporty" and handles noticeably better than the non SE variants. Again, matter of perspective I guess. That guy was probably used to plain jane cars with n/a 4 cyl. and then got the 274hp turbo and thought it was really quick.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
I was wondering how you could tell he was goosing it... I wouldn't think you'd even be able to tell except maybe by the amount of noise it was generating. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's to funny a Forte? Wasn't even a turbo Sonata? Not that it would of helped anyway, but still.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
That was probably the Yeti (board member) messing with ya. :) j/k
The kid was probably just wanting to see and hear what your car could do, knowing he couldn't hang. Sounds like you gave him a show.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta give them what they want . I had a chance to go at it with a 2011 camaro. It sucked cause we came up on a light but in a thirty mph speed zone. Didn't wanna go to jail before work ,so decided I'd see what would happen off the line and that's it. Light turned and I don't know if he wasn't mashing it. I really wasn't either but in sport mode and beat him off the line . Dude wasn't having it and hammered down past me ,which was crazy. We where in a f''n thirty. I didn't wanna hammer it and was content with the win off the launch. I asked him if he was modded and he said no but his exhaust was louder then stock . Unless he got it that way from the dealer. Well o.p. way to put the kid back into reality.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took no offense to his running I was however surprised. It is a nice enough car for those that can only offord those or just don't want anything more. I think the kid was just wanting to see what my car could do, which is why I played around with him other wise I would have just left him and been gone. I do that with the rude jackass that think they really have something and then (drive all pissy afterwards). From the way the kid was driving and behaving I believe he was doing it just wanting to have fun.

I try and not "race" on the roads anymore, as I have grown up a bit, but it was fun and got me thinking back to being in school and making my "spending money" late on the weekend nights on the rural back roads where we would road race for random lengths that we would decide on before the race. The one edge I always had was more mental than it was car or my truck since no one wanted to be on the wrong side of the road I always took it and told them it was no big deal as I would be in the right lane once I passed them. Ahhh the good old days of being young dumb and living inthe middle of nowhere looking for something to do.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Haha great story man. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I had a kid in an RSX pace me. He said he just wanted to see how he'd do. I said "hit it when you're ready, then I will". Afterward he was grinning. It's only natural to want to see how it'll go.

·
Registered
190 Posts
for some reason BMW owners always want to race me. I've had the car since Dec. and had 4 races against BMW's. they were 135, 650ci, 528 and 335xi and they all lost. I did have a newer M5 want to race but I knew better...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.