Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a private road and wanted to see what she would do on the 3-4 shift. Keep feeling like she falls on her face at the top of 3rd, so I wanted to get some vid of the the tach and mph. Went from a cruise in 6th gear to just punching it. Damn the car is quiet with the stock mufflers considering I have full exhaust and a cam...

Love this 2600 stall.

I'm thinking I'm going to lower that shift point on the 3-4 a tad after watching this vid and looking at some of my time slips. Just seems to me like it pulls harder after the shift and I am just wasting time on the last 200 RPM. Am I crazy or does it seem the rate of acceleration seem to fall off those last couple MPH in 3rd? All my other gears are relentless with the acceleration and shifts... I'm probably crazy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sir your car pulls hard! I have to agree with you tho, the last few MPH of third seem to lose steam. Is it the stall just prepping the shift into fourth?

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir your car pulls hard! I have to agree with you tho, the last few MPH of third seem to lose steam. Is it the stall just prepping the shift into fourth?
I dunno. All the other shifts pull crazy hard even through the shifts. 1-2-3 feel like one long gear because the shifts are so fast and there seems to be no fall off in acceleration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dropped my shift point for this very reason. It was still pulling but felt like it was falling off. I haven't had a chance to play with it enough to check times to see if it made any difference, though it "feels" like it did.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dropped my shift point for this very reason. It was still pulling but felt like it was falling off. I haven't had a chance to play with it enough to check times to see if it made any difference, though it "feels" like it did.
I just did it and it feels way better. Shifts at 96mph super fast now and just keeps pulling. Gonna record it in a little bit for comparisons sake.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Totally agree Ike, the top of 3rd seems out of breath. Otherwise looks good.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally agree Ike, the top of 3rd seems out of breath. Otherwise looks good.
Thanks Dave.

Here is the shift revised to be a little lower. Also have my race mufflers on:)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Looks better with the revised SP...I need to do a vid of mine. It's at like 115 when it shifts into 4th. Just the difference in our gearing I guess.

Also curious, why not lock up the converter at some point in 3rd? When mine locks its like beast mode lol

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
still looks like it hits fuel cutoff once. if you have heads and cam you can probably up the fuel cutoff a tiny bit, not that the analog rpm gauge is very accurate but it still looks like your around the 6400-6500 fuel cutoff, and I run that with my stock engine. of course my shifts are more like 6300 rpms probably before yours. you may want to just up fuel cutoff to 6600 or something.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Sweet pull. I love it as is.

But as with all mods, you become "normalized" to the new normal, and then you find the next "lowest branch" to improve next. Never ending cycle.

Your car is strong, Yeti. Very jealous. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rev limiter is 7000rpm so he's not getting close to it. The lower shift points are more effective use of power under the curve. Your shift extension is still 5200 rpm which is great for big acceleration in 4th gear.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pat I can't thank you enough for all the tuning you have done on my car. In my never ending quest to go faster you have never told me no we cant do that, or no that won't work. I feel so good about what has been accomplished with this car.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Nitrous will get you through 3rd......
:stickpoke:

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
The Yeti
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing