Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started a week ago, after it was up on a lift at my local mechanic for state inspection. I was with the car in the shop the whole time, so I know they didn't do anything wrong. I visually inspected everything as well.

The symptom is that when coming to a stop, you can hear the tranny whining pretty loudly. I turned my head to the side, and definitely tell it's not coming from the diff.

It's got almost 70k miles on it now, and still under the extended warranty, so I'm going to take it to the dealer. I'll have them change the filter and oil, and see if it goes away, or if there's any debris in the pan, but I definitely want this documented from the get-go...

Had anybody else had this issue? I searched and found nothing...

Sounds like an output shaft bearing going bad, but at speed, it's quiet - or maybe the noise is masked - but it's pretty loud and obvious when coming to a stop, whether in Drive or Sport or Manual.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fluid and filter will not cure problems, but a visual pan inspection may be good. How loud is it and does the pitch change with wheel speed or engine speed? If it is changing with wheel speed then it sounds like you have a noisy planet, but I think you'd hear it under acceleration too. If it is changing with engine speed (a good way to tell is to put it in neutral when you're slowing to a stop), then it sounds like a pump whine.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Any way to tell what gear it's in. 1st gear whine in the 6L80E is pretty apparent on these cars.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I figured it out. When I took it for its state inspection the other day, I had them turn the front rotors, since they were pretty badly warped. (And they WERE warped!). When the mechanic was turning them, I asked why he didn't have the rubber band around the outside of the rotor. He said theirs broke, and they haven't gotten a replacement.

Well, he did do a final fine cut, but man, that machine was making a lot of noise.

I did not replace the pads, and you can see the pattern on the rotors from the poor resurfacing cut. It's the rotors making the noise, not the tranny...

Time for some new ones....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts