Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoy reading all of the posts, finally have an issue that I could potentially use some help with. Got the ABS fault / stability control off on the DIC last Friday. Took it to the dealership Monday and was told it was a speed sensor on the passenger rear. Drove it home last night after the 'fix' from the dealer and to work this morning (15 miles) no issue. Pulled out the of lot this afternoon and both showed up on the DIC this afternoon. Looking at another 2 days at the dealership. Does anyone know for sure what is causing these issues? I searched a couple of the other threads, but it seems that we are still guessing on this one. Any help would be appreciated before I head back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
It reads like one or more speed sensors (rears appear to be the most common at failing) or the wire harness going to both of those rear sensors (which has gone bad for some members). You will be guessing if you DON'T hook up a good code reader that can easily verify what ABS fault code(s) are logged into memory. You then would have a good shot at knowing whats not capable of passing its (self test) on each ignition start cycle and needs to be worked on.
Sounds like you *aren't* planning on doing any T/S or maint of your own. So you'll just have to rely on your dealers testing procedure. Which seems to be lacking so far.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Just to verify, you are getting an ABS light and a esp off light on the DIC? I only ask because I had just the esp off light on my DIC with no abs light or fault. Mine ended up being the steering wheel angle sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jax, the ABS fault shows up on the DIC first, then the stability control message appears. It rotates between the 2 messages until I rotate the display off the errors.

The guy down the street has a code reader, I'll borrow it and see what's up if the dealer fails again.

Thanks for the help/advice.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Let us know what the code is. And good luck. Hope it's just another speed sensor.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Ha just had this problem to. Turned out it was a spice in one of the wires in the harness. It could be something else like the sensors but that was the cause of my issue. It would go on like your is . But it would not do it all afternoon and then at night kick back on . Would go to work and nothing,go on my lunch break and be back on .then come back from my lunch break and be back off. It was intermittent . Good luck with the issue .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pony, just got a call from the dealer. Sounds like the same issue. They advised it was a shorted wire near the harness for the speed sensor. Not sure which front wheel, but will find out this afternoon and advise if that fixes the issue.

Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Small world lol . Well glad its getting fixed . Safe driving man . What did they charge you to fix it ? Just wondering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my 3rd G8.....1st V6, 2nd GT with high mileage. This one is certified used and under warranty until October. The invoice said $4 to repair the wire which I paid $0. Find it hard to believe that's all I would have paid if not under warranty, but so far so good.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Nice . Zero is a good price lol.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have just had this this same issue come up.
My Dashboss is not reading any codes and the reader at Advanced Auto did not read a code either. Both the ABS and then ESC show up as not working on the dash.

Anyone out there have any other opinions besides taking it to the dealer?

Greatly appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have just had this this same issue come up.
My Dashboss is not reading any codes and the reader at Advanced Auto did not read a code either. Both the ABS and then ESC show up as not working on the dash.

Anyone out there have any other opinions besides taking it to the dealer?

Greatly appreciated
Most basic obd2 code readers like the ones at autozone will not read abs system faults. I don't know about the dash boss, but I would assume the same. You will need to get access to a higher level scan tool or take it somewhere that has one. Once you know what fault it's being set you can begin to troubleshoot. Best of luck

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Its pretty much going to be a code such as C0045. The fault code reader has to have an *ABS* readout capability to find and display it. I'm sure several auto parts stores use *that* level of reader, and would (maybe be happy) to check your car for free.

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steering wheel position sensor you say? I just removed and replaced the drivers side header and now I have a ESP off fault, with no DTC found during a scan. How did you fix your steering wheel sensor issue because seeing how I had to disconnect the steering shaft, I'll bet that's my issue...

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
^^^^ I'm sure, that if the steering wheel position sensor was at fault, you'd have a fault code set. But that device works with the ESP/ABS systems. So finding that code may require a scan reader that finds and reads ABS system faults. With only disconnecting the intermediate shaft and bolting it back up correctly, I doubt there is any chance of that SWS getting fouled up. If your steering wheel is centered (when going straight) and you can go lock to lock (with the same amount of turn in both directions), I don't see a problem there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a "general" scan tool. Just reads DTC's and is showing no codes. I will check the amount of steering wheel rotations lock-to-lock. If it is incorrect, I guess I will re position the steering shaft. The only thing I can think of, is that I moved the tires for clearance while the shaft was disconnected or turned the shaft by accident while it was disconnected. Either one would cause the issue I suppose? It is likely that I did one or both unintentionally....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts