Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the dealer thinks my ABS module has also gone out, but aren't 100% sure. their recommendation is to replace it. $800 parts + $400 tax/labor.

I am considering replacing it myself. has anyone done this?

the dealer gave me a P/N 92203497. I found a salvage yard that has a G8 and they claim the P/N is 92203488. Can any GM techs help clear this up?

symptoms: ABS fault light and brake warning light on the dash is on. ABS works, cruise control works, but traction control does not.

thanks

anybody help

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
Sounds like it could be a wheel speed sensor. Traction control stuck off? Though if they did a Tech2 read and it wasn't a wheel speed sensor, it could actually be the ABS module. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell without that reader, and I don't know what all information their reader provides.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry that was a type-o. i just edited it. ABS works, cruise control works, but traction control does not.

the tech at the dealership says that the ABS module does not talk to his tech tools. he confirmed it has ground and power going to it, but no comms when he tries to do anything with it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
the dealer thinks my ABS module has also gone out, but aren't 100% sure. their recommendation is to replace it. $800 parts + $400 tax/labor.

I am considering replacing it myself. has anyone done this?

the dealer gave me a P/N 92203497. I found a salvage yard that has a G8 and they claim the P/N is 92203488. Can any GM techs help clear this up?

symptoms: ABS fault light and brake warning light on the dash is on. ABS works, cruise control works, but traction control does not.

thanks

anybody help
if you are refererring to a handbrake light, then all it is is a sensor issue which also ultimately causes ABS light to come on. And it will not go away until the switch/sensor is fixed.

and you have an M6, so you are likely to use the hand brake a lot

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the dash i have both ABS and brake light. i think the brake light is the one that comes on when the parking brake is applied, but not sure. Also in the DIC, i have warnings at startup. both ABS fault, and a separate message just saying brake in the DIC.

i did just tear down my console to install a 3 gauge pod.

where is the sensor you are referring to? on the parking brake or under the car somewhere?

thanks

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it connect to this cable?

i don't remember disconnecting it when i took everything apart, but here it is and i don't know if it needs to go anywhere. sometimes you just find cables or ports that aren't used when you take a car apart and i am not sure if this is one of those.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have been troubleshooting these errors associated with the gauge install for two weeks now. without the gauges installed the error still comes up. either it is a coincidence or i broke/disconnected something associated with the brakes during the install and now i can't locate the root cause

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The sensor itself is on the bottom of the handle brake assembly. It's hidden by the seat cushion. I'm not sure if it connects to that connector or not. You could easily damage it if you force the side panel on too much without paying attention to it.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had an epically bad time getting the side panels back on. i will check that next.

i just spoke to someone who things that extra connecter in the picture is the harness for an auto trans, that i don't have.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where in this pic is the switch/sensor i would have messed up for the parking brake?

the white connector on far right side goes straight down between the trans tunnel and the interior carpet. the other end goes off inside the center console. not sure if that supposed to somehow be connected to the switch/sensor you are referring to or not. don't see how i would have messed it up either when re-installing the side panels

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
The parking brake circuit shows a 1 wire connector. The switch looks to be chassis grounded. So either you have a ground (lite turn on) or an open circuit (cancel the brake light) icon. Not that this is your problem, but if the brake master cylinder is a little low on fluid (or thinks it is), *it* will turn on your brake light icon as well as determine that your brake system is in question, and will shut down the ABS circuit as well as other things, until corrected.
Also I saw that DLC wiring you talked about. There are 2 wires at pins 6 and 14. One wire from each of those pins goes out towards the EBCM, then transmission (auto or manual) and on to the ECM to complete a *high speed* data loop. The other set of wires go to the BCM and VCIM to do the same thing. I would think that any breakdown of that EBCM loop, would most likely also cause that problem you have.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
on the dash i have both ABS and brake light. i think the brake light is the one that comes on when the parking brake is applied, but not sure. Also in the DIC, i have warnings at startup. both ABS fault, and a separate message just saying brake in the DIC.

i did just tear down my console to install a 3 gauge pod.

where is the sensor you are referring to? on the parking brake or under the car somewhere?

thanks
Did you let the tech know that this started happening right after your mod? (Is it documented on the complaint line of the work order? 'Cause if it's not & you didn't tell the tech directly, then he doesn't know) It may help him with his diagnosis. I'm not sure if it's possible that there is a damaged data line but the module still has power & ground? I don't know the schematics & am not familiar with exactly how they are supposed to communicate with each other vs how the power is supplied to the module. It could be the same wires or it could be totally different ones. (Did the problem start virtually immediately after your pod install?)

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The parking brake circuit shows a 1 wire connector. The switch looks to be chassis grounded. So either you have a ground (lite turn on) or an open circuit (cancel the brake light) icon. Not that this is your problem, but if the brake master cylinder is a little low on fluid (or thinks it is), *it* will turn on your brake light icon as well as determine that your brake system is in question, and will shut down the ABS circuit as well as other things, until corrected.
Also I saw that DLC wiring you talked about. There are 2 wires at pins 6 and 14. One wire from each of those pins goes out towards the EBCM, then transmission (auto or manual) and on to the ECM to complete a *high speed* data loop. The other set of wires go to the BCM and VCIM to do the same thing. I would think that any breakdown of that EBCM loop, would most likely also cause that problem you have.
are you saying the wire group with the white connector at the right of the last picture is my DLC? What does that stand for? Data Line Connection?

Did you let the tech know that this started happening right after your mod? (Is it documented on the complaint line of the work order? 'Cause if it's not & you didn't tell the tech directly, then he doesn't know) It may help him with his diagnosis. I'm not sure if it's possible that there is a damaged data line but the module still has power & ground? I don't know the schematics & am not familiar with exactly how they are supposed to communicate with each other vs how the power is supplied to the module. It could be the same wires or it could be totally different ones. (Did the problem start virtually immediately after your pod install?)
yes technician and i spoke in the shop. i explained to him the timing of the issue in relation to the gauge install and that after removing the gauges how the problem persisted.

the wording the tech used was that he confirmed the ABS module had power and ground going to it, but when attempting to communicate with it, it was as if it was not there.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sensor itself is on the bottom of the handle brake assembly. It's hidden by the seat cushion. I'm not sure if it connects to that connector or not. You could easily damage it if you force the side panel on too much without paying attention to it.
i still don't see this sensor. is it hidden behind the vertical back support cushion or the horizontal butt seat cushion.

i can't tell if i completely knocked it off or it is still preset and functional

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just failed my state inspection because of the ABS light.

this is me for the last two weeks :banghead:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i still don't see this sensor. is it hidden behind the vertical back support cushion or the horizontal butt seat cushion.

i can't tell if i completely knocked it off or it is still preset and functional
Don't bother chasing that sensor. You need to figure out your communication issue with the ABS module (EBTCM I believe)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They should have documented the DTC on your workorder. I'm betting it's a U code witch represents communication issues. Then maybe Gopherit can get you a flow chart for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I find it very strange that the ABS is still working with the ABS light on.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I find it very strange that the ABS is still working with the ABS light on.
i thought this was strange as well.

my paper work does not include the code.

my VMS powercable and software show a DTC= PC121

1 - 20 of 46 Posts