Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I turned on my AC because it's 81 here and no cold air. looked under the hood and sure enough the ac belt has come off. There are a ton of threads on this and no one seems to spell out the answer clearly.

What should I be looking for as the root cause? Belts don't just pop off for no reason.

this is on my 08' G8 GT..... TIA

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
The belt as verified by other members required for the AC is # 4040430 (43"). A lot of brands all show that same basic number. If you believe the current belt is in good condition, you should try to verify that the belt tensioner used between the 2 pulleys shows that it has lots of *up* pushing force, even beyond its normal belt tension position. Also verify that its rotating wheel is smooth in its action. If you feel that a matching size belt that measures say 42.5" can be installed properly in its place, that might improve its chances of remaining in place on the 2 pulleys as an option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, easy enough fix, pull the intake resonator and there it all is. Really amazing that the product was released with this kind of a problem.

I hear there is a TSB on this and that the fix is a new two roller tensioner to replace the single roller tensioner. Does anyone know if this is true? My car just turned 51K so I am wondering if it would even be covered?

Till then I will try a gatorgrip version of the 42.5" belt, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
seems the solution is to order a new idle assm from down under from the Crazy guy - after you have the harmonic balancer checked for wobble

DEAL 45R.

Bracket with new idler pulley and a complete new tensioner - 92252927
US$175 shipped by Airfreight.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
seems the solution is to order a new idle assm from down under from the Crazy guy - after you have the harmonic balancer checked for wobble

DEAL 45R.

Bracket with new idler pulley and a complete new tensioner - 92252927
US$175 shipped by Airfreight.
This is what I did. Haven't thrown it since. I highly recommend buying and installing the upgraded tensioner.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
So I turned on my AC because it's 81 here and no cold air. looked under the hood and sure enough the ac belt has come off. There are a ton of threads on this and no one seems to spell out the answer clearly.

What should I be looking for as the root cause? Belts don't just pop off for no reason.

On this car, they do.
Once they have started, it will likely continue. I have had this issue since day one. Tried various UDPs, various belts, and replaced tensioners. The ONLY fix for me was the one from "down under". It is effective.
Try the Gatorback belt, or other solutions if you must. Keep in mind the total money spent fighting this, and the $180 for the replacement bracket/tensioners. (a stock tensioner replacement is around $80)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

How are things going with your G8? Have you decided if you are going to have the vehicle looked at by a GM technician?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, this is a very pleasant surprise. I called the dealer and even though there is a TSB on it, they won't replace it. A TSB helps with diagnosis and resolution of common problems, and where it's not a powertrain problem, they won't service it so I will fix it myself.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
well, this is a very pleasant surprise. I called the dealer and even though there is a TSB on it, they won't replace it. A TSB helps with diagnosis and resolution of common problems, and where it's not a powertrain problem, they won't service it so I will fix it myself.

It's really BS that this has been a known issue on these cars for years and GM is replacing the tensioners with the new version in Australia, but refusing to fix the issue in the U.S..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah I just paid for this repair a few months ago. Anyone else hear a weird bearing noise?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine flew off at 25k with no warning whatsoever. It was cold out so i hadn't been using the A/C and I didn't even know it was missing until I took the car in for a oil change. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It was the 3rd time mine flew off when i got upset. Purchased a new tensioner and belt from Autozone. The new tensioner was much heavier than stock, 50 bucks, and I had the belt measured and ordered a 10mm shorter belt. Been 1 year now with no issues.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Here's the stock tensioner:

Here's the fix:

Here it is on the car:

I threw my belt all the time no matter what I did before the fix. I haven't thrown it once since I replaced the tensioner.

Sorry the pics sucked. All I had was my iPhone to use as a camera.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep, I've seen that, but at $175 its a pricey fix for something that GM should have seen during testing of the powertrain and fixed long before release.

It is very disappointing, the only saving grace here is that it was easy to change the belt. If the problem persists I'll have to pick one of those up and probably won't be a repeat GM customer.

·
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
1,951 Posts
I just had my entire harmonic balancer replaced under warranty, along with the belt. This fixed the immedeate problem, but it did not resolve the underlying issue. Every time I accelerate, I fear the belt will break.

GM: I am a Lead Quality Engineer for one of the biggest and most respected companies in the world. Your QA team should have caught this. In our industry, some call this an "OOPS". In my business, we call it a critical failure. When something like this happens at our company, we run the metrics and assess why it happened, fix the problem for our customers, and verify that the same issue will never happen again with the newly developed widget.

When something like this is overlooked, one of two things probably happened:
1. Your quality process does not have the proper checks and balances for final verification/release.
2. Your engineers are young and lack experience, which usually means that all the Sr. engineers have either retired, or been laid off to align with salary goals. Bottom line: young kids out of college are cheaper than seasoned guys like me, but they MUST be mentored. Engineering degrees are great, but you never stop learning, and the best teacher is the guy/gal with all the experience, the same people who help companies like GM avoid the "gotcha" scenarios.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mine flew off at 25k with no warning whatsoever. It was cold out so i hadn't been using the A/C and I didn't even know it was missing until I took the car in for a oil change. It was replaced under warranty.
Thank you for sharing your experience with your G8 and the belt issue. I am glad to read that this was taken care of at no cost to you.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

1 - 20 of 45 Posts