1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Mine did the same thing multiple times on both my G8s. In both cases changing from the 43" factory length to 42.5" fixed the issue.
5040425 is the shorter belt I've used and love. No need for a new bracket in my case.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/238809-new-source-revised-ac-pulley-tensioner.html. If necessary, can use the information in the thread to contact the vendor and verify the part numbers. By the way, their price for both the belt and bracket is less than Pace for the bracket alone. Here's another thread ...https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/280825-c-belt-thrown-again-again.html. Can pose the ease of replacement question on either thread as well. Good luck.

·
Pontiac Crazy
417 Posts
Mine did the same thing multiple times on both my G8s. In both cases changing from the 43" factory length to 42.5" fixed the issue.
5040425 is the shorter belt I've used and love. No need for a new bracket in my case.
Same here. Been 3-4 years with the shorter belt and no throws.

·
Pontiac Crazy
417 Posts
Harmonics...

Changing the belt length doesn't change the underlying problem...
You are correct, but for $20 I no longer have a belt being thrown versus $200 for the bracket.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Same, $20 fixed my problem. Why wouldn't one at least try it before going the expensive route? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ordered the new bracket and since it is my daily driver i got the shorter belt for while i wait.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just popped the new bracket in my '08 a month or two ago. Some of the bolts were a PITA, but overall easy. Just don't crank anything down until you have all of the bolts started in their proper place. Had to redo the whole thing when the last bolt hole didn't line up 😕

·
Registered
275 Posts

ME also,
new stock tensioner and shorter belt......no more issues :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Changing the belt is PART of your problem. If you do nothing else but change the ac belt....you will probably throw another ac belt with a few months. I strongly suggest changing your ac belt tensioner too due to ange of the car. Also.....you MUST change out crank pulley. The Factory ones wobble due to bad casting (known problem with majority of the LS3/ L76 engines. If yours is stock....take a look with the engine on....it probably wobbles like a bitch.
I changed my crank pulley to a slp underdrive and my ac belt tensioner and have ZERO thrown belts in 3 years so far. Also ZERO crank pulley wobble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts