Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately, we have cold months but in So Cal, you never know when warm days can happen. I'm not going to do work on my car because I don't have the training, time or space.

My GT has about 160,000 miles on it and a few months ago I noticed the AC wasn't as efficient. So, I had my mechanic recharge the AC, which he did but mentioned there was a leak. Flash forward to now, and it's not working.

I take the car back and he says that he found a leak at the AC high pressure hose and recommends replacement of the manifold hose. He says that it would cost around $1200 due to labor so I declined.

So, I plan to take it to another mechanic, but thought I'd ask if anyone has had this experience before or has thoughts about whether this is the cause?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Damn at that cost I'd learn how to do it myself. I would shop around and see if you can get a better rate if you absolutely can't do it yourself. The main thing is recovering and and charging the system. That has to be done by a shop. The price seems steep but without knowing what access issues there are, it's hard to say. At that price it sounds like the whole front end has to be removed or the new line is $600.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
If you can verify that the leak area, is in either of the rubber hose sections (high or low pressure side), or at some location within the aluminum tubing attached at both ends of both rubber hoses, you "can" buy a complete new hose/tubing assembly. They sell them for about $213 from various places, or even from Amazon for $207 delivered. GM listed P/N 92265856. From Amazon they list the P/N 15-34626 which is the ACDelco # But for some reason Amazon says that part will not work on the G8. I think that is in error since its the same assembly sold by GM.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for your thoughts and advice. I like the mechanic and has been honest, but I just don't believe it. He says it's a lot of work which could mean that he doesn't want to do it in the first place, he over estimated the work, things I'm gullible or doesn't know the car well enough that there are other ways of handling it.
I'm gonna get another opinion, but have some ammunition if they say the same thing.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Get a second estimate as $1200 is downright ridiculous. Alternatively, buy a few cans of refrigerant. Find someone with the air conditioner gauges and have them top it off periodically. Rock Auto has the manifold hoses for $165 plus tax and shipping. Scroll to the second page of this thread, Pontiac G8 Forum. In my extremely humble opinion, total cost should be around half of the initial estimate.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. I agree it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
before you do anything maybe try putting in some fresh ac coolant into the port in the line? if it improves then even if a slow leak 1200 buys a lot of canisters of coolant/ac recharge. Also check if the belt has come off or is loose on the front of the engine?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
before you do anything maybe try putting in some fresh ac coolant into the port in the line? if it improves then even if a slow leak 1200 buys a lot of canisters of coolant/ac recharge. Also check if the belt has come off or is loose on the front of the engine?
Thanks. I agree that makes more sense. At this point, it empties after two months. I'm having another shop check it out for a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Do it right and have it diagnosed, repaired by a competent shop. The leak will only grow in size. Additional wear/tear on components as the refrigerant charge depletes (lubricant is mixed in). For the AC to work properly a precise amount of refrigerant is required, to do this the system needs to be evacuated then refilled, there is no topping off.
Or you can do the fpfq way and randomly dump a can here and there as you feel it's needed and then complain that GM was stupid in designing the system as you have replace multiple components in the peak of summer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do it right and have it diagnosed, repaired by a competent shop. The leak will only grow in size. Additional wear/tear on components as the refrigerant charge depletes (lubricant is mixed in). For the AC to work properly a precise amount of refrigerant is required, to do this the system needs to be evacuated then refilled, there is no topping off.
Or you can do the fpfq way and randomly dump a can here and there as you feel it's needed and then complain that GM was stupid in designing the system as you have replace multiple components in the peak of summer.
Thanks for your input. I am having it looked at now. I can't be without AC for long. I will look to get it fixed or if too much, save during the winter months and pray we don't get too many of the hot days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting development that has me questioning everything that went on. I took it to the GM Dealer and they added dye, evacuated and recharged to leak test the freon, and replaced the high side service port. Evacuated and recharged. It came to $199.44 OTD.

The first mechanic who is someone that we've used for years quoted $1200 because I needed the whole line. I found it odd that he said that since when I went to him three months ago, he said he noticed the service port was leaking.

So someone here's lying, incompetent or lazy. Following the money, you would think the first mechanic. Either he knew that it was just the valve and figured he could charge for the whole line and just replace the valve. Or didn't know you could just replace the valve, but that's contrary to what he said months ago.

Looking at the dealer, they could be just wanting to get the car out and it's not just the valve but could replace it and the freon holds long enough to say that it must have been a slow leak that they didn't notice at the time of the test.

The first mechanic is someone we've used for years and I did spend a lot of money a few months ago because I had a leaking oil pan gasket, needed the AC recharged and put in new strut cartridges. I found him to be trustworthy because he had never really pushed for anything. In fact, some months ago, he said that the car has a lot of miles on it (around 160k) and that he wouldn't keep it long waiting around for the next huge thing to go wrong.

I'm glad that it's less than the first mechanic quoted. I just don't know what to think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tough break. Its very likely the leak was mis diagnosed by the dealer and your mechanic was right. Its also very likely he wasn't able to find the valve sold separately from the line. Im afraid to ask what you payed to have the oil pan leak fixed. You can still ask him for advice and quotes every now and then but I would shop around for a 2nd or 3rd opinion from now on. There are alot of "real" mechanics out there but there are definitely more "parts changers" out there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tough break. Its very likely the leak was mis diagnosed by the dealer and your mechanic was right. Its also very likely he wasn't able to find the valve sold separately from the line. Im afraid to ask what you payed to have the oil pan leak fixed. You can still ask him for advice and quotes every now and then but I would shop around for a 2nd or 3rd opinion from now on. There are alot of "real" mechanics out there but there are definitely more "parts changers" out there.
I paid $1,050 for the oil pan gasket. Another mechanic quoted me $900, but when I went to set it up, he was too busy.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Am inclined to believe the diagnosis and repair at the dealership. If the technician thought additional repairs were warranted, what could plausibly stop them from doing so given the negative impact covid-19 has dealt many businesses. Quite a few forum members have replaced a Schrader valve(s) due to leakage. Regarding the first "mechanic", wouldn't purchase a soda from the vending machine much less conduct business. At the very least, the prices are exorbitant. Worst, borderline dishonest. Either way, $1,200 to replace the manifold hoses is unconscionable, unfathomable, and perchance unscrupulous. Would have inquired about replacing the manifold hose costs by the dealership.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am inclined to believe the diagnosis and repair at the dealership. If the technician thought additional repairs were warranted, what could plausibly stop them from doing so given the negative impact covid-19 has dealt many businesses. Quite a few forum members have replaced a Schrader valve(s) due to leakage. Regarding the first "mechanic", wouldn't purchase a soda from the vending machine much less conduct business. At the very least, the prices are exorbitant. Worst, borderline dishonest. Either way, $1,200 to replace the manifold hoses is unconscionable, unfathomable, and perchance unscrupulous. Would have inquired about replacing the manifold hose costs by the dealership.
You're probably right about all of this. I'm amazed at how incompetent work can be. The only thing worse are motorcycle mechanics.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Take it as a lesson learned as not everyone is honest. The misdiagnosis isn't necessarily the problem as innately we all make mistakes. The glaring egregious issue is the $1,200 repair estimate. There aren't many issues pertaining to the G8 not already covered on the forum. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, so I'll just be the bearer of bad news.... do your pocketbook a favor and find another mechanic.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
checkout page 2. same spot?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think that it was the same spot, but I'm not really sure since I didn't conduct the repair. The area leaking was the valve used to refill the freon.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Per the dealership, the refrigerant leak was at the high side Schrader valve. Sometimes the manifold hoses rub together and as a result eventually leak as referenced above by Belo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts