Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diagnosing no cold air today, and discovered that the high side Schrader valve leaks. I was reviewing https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/93745-about-c-performance-g8-2.html and see that the valve is indeed serviceable, so I'm going to order one up. I also injected fluorescent dye just in case there is more than one leak. I loaded up about 2 cans worth, and am seeing 35-40 on the low side and 160-170 on the high side with temps around 77 in fairly humid conditions. My quandry... the air isn't blowing as cold as I'd hoped (I didn't have a thermometer handy, so I don't have an actual temp). There was some pressure still in the system, so I didn't evacuate it before starting today (mistake?). Obviously I'm going to have to do so when I open it to replace the valve, so I'll cover that this week. Should I replace the dryer dessicant since I'll have the system open? Any other obvious thinks to look at for sub-optimal cooling?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I wonder>>>>>> If each can had 12 oz an you got all of that into the system (an added to whatever amount you still had in there), it would be over serviced. I seem to remember that equals less than desirable cooling taking place (the compressor may be throttling back its cooling capability to protect *it* an the system ). They show that the system should only have 20.5 oz in there. Being under or over the correct refrigerant quantity prevents the A/C from cooling as it should. But if your going to dump or recover all of that refrigerant an then evacuate the system, then testing the A/C system by removing some of the refrigerant to see how that effects the cooling, probably isn't going to happen. I don't know if that part has to be replaced, if the system was not compromised.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Diagnosing no cold air today, and discovered that the high side Schrader valve leaks. I was reviewing https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/93745-about-c-performance-g8-2.html and see that the valve is indeed serviceable, so I'm going to order one up. I also injected fluorescent dye just in case there is more than one leak. I loaded up about 2 cans worth, and am seeing 35-40 on the low side and 160-170 on the high side with temps around 77 in fairly humid conditions. My quandry... the air isn't blowing as cold as I'd hoped (I didn't have a thermometer handy, so I don't have an actual temp). There was some pressure still in the system, so I didn't evacuate it before starting today (mistake?). Obviously I'm going to have to do so when I open it to replace the valve, so I'll cover that this week. Should I replace the dryer dessicant since I'll have the system open? Any other obvious thinks to look at for sub-optimal cooling?

Thanks!
The high side isn't a Schrader valve. It's a ball valve.

My post in the link you posted worked out great for me.

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
The high side isn't a Schrader valve. It's a ball valve.

My post in the link you posted worked out great for me.
Did you wind up replacing the ball valve with the shraeder style?
DId you do it yourself?

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
Update - I indeed got the Dorman valve for $7 and the 8 sided socket for $13 from Amazon, had my local garage evac, swap valves and recharge.
All total cost was 125 bucks. Air is ice cold again. Loving it. Returned the socket since it wasnt needed and I'm returning the refrigerant hose to Rockauto, waiting on my 165 dollar refund. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts