Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have noticed a lot of drip marks trailing behind my G8. I only live 7 miles from work but when I get the parking garage I can see a clear trail of droplets from my ac on the pavement

I am wondering how worried I should be about this and what I should check. In previous vehicles I would be looking at the belt tension or refrigerant level but I dont know how to check these on my G8 or if this is what I should be looking at.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The water dripping from your ac is from the moisture coming out of the air as it is chilled by your ac system and draining properly. Anytime you chill air moisture will be forced out. But you are concerned because you haven’t seen this from your G8 before?

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
"whatnext" has it right. There are those days when the airs moisture percentage is low (very dry air days). So even thou you are making lots of cold air, there is (very little to nothing) as far as water dripping out from under the car. On those higher humid days, you get lots of water dripping out. Conditioned air entering the car is "very" dry by design.The planes used by the big airlines that do not have the luxury of pre-conditioned air plumbed into the Aircraft while sitting at the gate, have to run their air cycle machines burning up kerosene to make the cold air. They have so much water pouring out from under the belly, that some of the passengers thought that the plane had a major fuel leak an start rethinking as to whether or not to take that flight. It was a constant problem for me, due to the airport being about 2 miles from the ocean. We had to reassure the passengers many times, that it was only the moisture being removed from the conditioned air going into the plane.
What you don't want to happen, is to get your A/C moisture drain line clogged an start dumping that water in the cabin. So water flow hitting the deck is a good thing in this case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water dripping from your ac is from the moisture coming out of the air as it is chilled by your ac system and draining properly. Anytime you chill air moisture will be forced out. But you are concerned because you haven’t seen this from your G8 before?
The dripping seems more pronounced now but I suppose it might be due to the weather here in South Texas.

Is there a way to test/determine the level of refrigerant in the system?

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Yes. Any professional shop that does air conditioner repair work will have the proper equipment and tools to test for the amount of refrigerant.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
I think its impossible to tell "exactly" how much total refrigerant is in the system at any given time. Hooking up a set of gauges to the low an high side ports would allow you to get a good idea of how the system is performing. I'm teaching myself about this system from reading the service manual an some things off the internet. If you went out to your car (after sitting for several hours) an hooked up the gauges, both sides should have the same psi reading (plus/minus a very few pounds from each other). Ambient temp dictates what psi you should be reading. If the ambient temp were say 85 deg F, you would expect to see a psi reading on both gauges at about 95 psi. Once you start the engine an run the A/C for about 5 to 10 minutes (asking for cold air) you would then expect the low side gauge to read somewhere near 39 psi an the high side reading of about 215. These are the approx values you would expect to see "IF" the A/C was in proper operating condition. Actual humidity % would change those psi values a little up or down.

Also the fans are set to turn on at low speed when 220 psi is sensed, an change over to high speed when 255 psi is sensed. Loosing a fan or a delay in fan turn on probably prevents the condenser from cooling down the high pressure gas from the compressor as it needs to do. That in turn, makes it harder for the evaporator to work its magic correctly. I bought a set of the gauges from harbor freight. several years ago. Have not had to use them on my car or truck as of yet. You can/could buy a set (if wanted) for about $60 from them. Plus your allowed to use one of their 20 % off discount coupons on that kit.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
You can do it yourself, but need both the knowledge and tools to do so. However, am pretty sure there are instructional videos on YouTube detailing the procedure. The readings aren't 100% exact, but provide a good estimate of how much refrigerant is in the system at that particular moment. Bear in mind, a full charge of refrigerant is around 1.3 pounds so it doesn't take much of a leak before the level is low. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts