Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm trying to get power to THIS from a 12volt source in the car.

The thing says 5v 180mA, it comes with a regular house adapter but i need power from behind the radio. I know where to get the power and i know how wire stuff into this car but i'm not much of an electronics engineer.

How that heck do i do this? I assume i just need to splice the right kind of fuse in between the 12v source and the Belkin Bluetooth Thingy.

I swear I've looked through the electronics section for 3 hours looking for an answer and found nothing.

EDIT:

Ok so far i got a bit more information, so far i figure i can use THIS 5v regulator + i would need some capacitors for filtering, not sure which i would need or where to go from there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
just to go autozone or whatever parts store close to you and buy an inline 5V fuse. Cut the AC plug adapter off. Wire the inline fuse to the positive wire of the cable. Then just find a 12V source for power in the car. The inline fuse goes to the power and ground the negative side of the cable. That's it. I did the same thing with my WD TV but used a 2v fuse.

i used one like this with the glass fuses:

·
Registered
571 Posts
How about a "universal DC/DC power converter/adapter" to step down voltage from 12v to 5v? Radio Shack used to carry them, but you can get them for about $10-$15 on fleabay. They often come with different type power plugs in the pack to adapt them to your device. Easier than fabbing your own. They usually have a selector switch on the side to choose the voltage you want, 4.5, 5, 6, 9, etc. Just cut off the cigarette lighter plug and direct wire into the accessory fuse or use a fusetap from Autozone into the accessory fuse which I think is #14 in the fuse box?

Just find one with the correct 12v to 5v step down switch. Here is an example:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a "universal DC/DC power converter/adapter" to step down voltage from 12v to 5v? Radio Shack used to carry them, but you can get them for about $10-$15 on fleabay. They often come with different type power plugs in the pack to adapt them to your device. Easier than fabbing your own. They usually have a selector switch on the side to choose the voltage you want, 4.5, 5, 6, 9, etc. Just cut off the cigarette lighter plug and direct wire into the accessory fuse or use a fusetap from Autozone into the accessory fuse which I think is #14 in the fuse box?

Just find one with the correct 12v to 5v step down switch. Here is an example:

wow, thanks. That's exactly what i was looking for. Man i was really had hopes to find something local. I went out and bought that 5v regulator. If i can get it to work i'll keep it, if not i'm definitely buying that on eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
MLozano
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing