Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Kooks Longtube headers, Kooks Offroad X-pipe and Stock GXP Mufflers. My wife and I cannot stand the smell while idling. Can I weld in high flow cats to the Offroad X-Pipe?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where in the chain is your x-pipe connected? If you swapped the mid muffler and/or resonators for it, then the cats could be connected anywhere closer to the headers (or right at them).

·
Registered
650 Posts
I currently have Kooks Longtube headers, Kooks Offroad X-pipe and Stock GXP Mufflers. My wife and I cannot stand the smell while idling. Can I weld in high flow cats to the Offroad X-Pipe?
Yes, just have a decent exhaust shop add high flow cats just after the flanges and before the rear O2 sensors. Look at the Kooks catted x-pipe as an example. Or you can just buy the kooks catted connections pipes which will likely not cost too much more and keep it a bolt on affair.

You may need to have the car re-tuned that as adding/removing cats can mess with some drive-ability things. Depends on the current tune and how "high flow" the cats are.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have headers, x-pipe then mufflers.
I assume you have the full Kooks X-pipe, yes? Pic below...

Assuming that's the case, have the cats added after those flanges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's what I have. Thank you for the advice. Going to go buy a exhaust shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes that's what I have. Thank you for the advice. Going to go buy a exhaust shop tomorrow.
Cool. Just make sure you get quality cats. I had some crappy ones added to one of my exhaust setups and they started blowing apart after just a couple thousand miles.

·
Vendor
400 Posts
If the exhaust shop tries to over charge you to weld them in place hit us up for the catted Xpipe. It will bolt right in and you can always sell your off road Xpipe to someone in need. You might even be able to find some looking to trade your off road Xpipe for a catted version if you're lucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts