Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who built their own systems and or adding j-pipes to an existing system where did you get the pipes from?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any specific ones on there? Saw a bunch on summit from $10 to almost $100.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I believe mine are from Summit, dynomax part no. 42310 j bends. Also, the easiest way to plug the end is to use a steel freeze plug that fits tightly into the end. Part no. dorman 555-038. tap them in, and just tack weld The system will look better, and your welder will thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will those Dynomax 42310s work on Loudmouths if i go that route?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
build a sleave with band clamps over the end and lengthen or shorten based on the desired tone, it basically cancels the resonant frequency of the exhaust pulses and it passes that chamber, they call that a helmholtz chamber, and thats what makes the SOLO's sooo cool.

EDIT... simplified, heres the helmholtz equation (i'm a nerd)

PS diff eq sucks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah Corsa is nice, but not $1300 nice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I disagree 1000%
Buddy just put a Corsa on this GMC truck, and it sounds amazing, and no drone...

You get what you pay for...
I'm sure they are very high quality and they do sound great in sound clips, but I still can't justify that cost. If I wanted a full cat-back it'd be one of the four Solo systems. I'm going Solo AB + Mid Muffler X-Pipe delete. That's good enough for me and will still sound great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
build a sleave with band clamps over the end and lengthen or shorten based on the desired tone, it basically cancels the resonant frequency of the exhaust pulses and it passes that chamber, they call that a helmholtz chamber, and thats what makes the SOLO's sooo cool.

EDIT... simplified, heres the helmholtz equation (i'm a nerd)

PS diff eq sucks!
Know how I know you are an engineer?...

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
"Once again, grasshoppers, the "simplified" formula for determining the length of a Helmholtz quarter-wave chamber dealing with the elimination of a known resonance frequency is as follows:

The speed of sound in feet per second (say, 1072feet/second)
divided by
The frequency you wish to eliminate (say, 128cycles/second)
equals
8.375feet/cycle (numbers divide/seconds cancel out)
This is the length of a full wave form; much too big to work with under a vehicle.
To get a quarter-wave length, divide 8.373feet/cycle by 4 to get 2.09373feet/quarter-wave length.
Multiply 2.09373feet/quarter-wave by 12inches/foot to get the chamber length of 25.125".

Tube diameter does not affect frequency, only the amount of attenuation.
This worked back in 2009, and it still works today.

Be sure to use your own target frequency in the formula.
The speed of sound figure is not going to vary enough to worry about. We're not rocket scientists.

REMEMBER: Be sure to use your own target frequency in the formula."

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Let me dig up this old thread here.

I know its mentioned that the diameter of the pipe does not matter. What is a good length for the J pipe to get rid of the drone. Unfortunately I dont want to be messing around with band clamps, and adjusting/readjusting everything. Also, im trying to figure out my target formula and ummmmm.....WHAT!!??? :dunno::dunno::dunno: My fiance wants 80-100% of the drone to be eliminated or I cant get the procharger. I dont mind the drone, since ive been driving with drone for 4yrs +, but of course I want my procharger. Happy wife happy life. Appreciate the feedback

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
I have read that the diameter of the pipe does matter because that would increase the total volume of the chamber that you are creating.

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
I have read that the diameter of the pipe does matter because that would increase the total volume of the chamber that you are creating.

Oh great...another curveball. :comp:

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Summit/jegs have pipes @ $15+

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Let me dig up this old thread here.

I know its mentioned that the diameter of the pipe does not matter. What is a good length for the J pipe to get rid of the drone. Unfortunately I dont want to be messing around with band clamps, and adjusting/readjusting everything. Also, im trying to figure out my target formula and ummmmm.....WHAT!!??? :dunno::dunno::dunno: My fiance wants 80-100% of the drone to be eliminated or I cant get the procharger. I dont mind the drone, since ive been driving with drone for 4yrs +, but of course I want my procharger. Happy wife happy life. Appreciate the feedback
That is why I listed part numbers.
30 inches.
2 inch diameter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.