Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone guide me in the right direction to purchase this part? A quality one that has less issues. Preferably from a place I can easily access in a short amount of time. Thanks

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I’ve only found one that is stronger than OEM . Gates makes racing grade belts. For A/C it’s part # K040430RPM

Reactions: 5litrarag

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve only found one that is stronger than OEM . Gates makes racing grade belts. For A/C it’s part # K040430RPM
I found the part. it says it fits 2005 GTO. Disregard that and just assume that it will fit?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Using the factory air conditioner compressor bracket or the revised Holden replacement? What issues?
Gates

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Actually there are 8 different vehicles that use an AC belt of that length. GTO and G8 are two of them.
Now, like Pony said. What is the actual problem?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually there are 8 different vehicles that use an AC belt of that length. GTO and G8 are two of them.
Now, like Pony said. What is the actual problem?
Small cracks observed.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Original belt? If so, current mileage?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Original. 132000 miles . Just replace the alternator and when I was removing the belt , noticed the other belt.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
At 132,000 miles small cracks are almost inevitable. Presuming it's the stock pulley, fortunately haven't experienced the belt throwing issue. Hence the reason for the what issues question. There's a link to the Gates e-catalogue above.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 132,000 miles small cracks are almost inevitable. Presuming it's the stock pulley, fortunately haven't experienced the belt throwing issue. Hence the reason for the what issues question. There's a link to the Gates e-catalogue above.
is there something I should know about this belt throwing issue or any preventative measures?

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Belt tensioners need to the cleaned and lubed. If the spring and pivot don’t apply full pressure to the belt , it will slip and fall off or break. Easy to check , wrench on the tensioner and pull it back. If it doesn’t move smoothly and move the full range. It needs to be cleaned and lubed. With the belt off spin the pulley. If you hear the ball bearing rattle and the pulley spins for several seconds. The grease is gone. You can replace just the pulley or I used a grease needle to re-lube the pulley bearing. You will notice how much quieter it is after being serviced. Rockauto lists the Gates and every other brand that’s available. You may not order from them, but you can use the part number and search for a cheaper or more local source

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
See attached file-
from the TSB:

Cause:
The A/C belt jumps off the crank pulley due to crankshaft resonance above 3000 RPM. The resonance causes the belt to oscillate across the top span between the A/C pulley and the harmonic balancer, causing the belt to dislodge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't had any issues since I put on the Holden Improved bracket/idler/pulley setup.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well what had happened was.
I stomped on the gas so hard it scared the ac belt off.
If you havent done this at your mileage, you sir deserve a cookie.
I had to stop back this past fall at a orielly's for belt on way home from inlaws. I've been running a shorter belt since around 40k or so.
At your milage would look at pulleys as mentioned rotate them with finger against running surface and feel for abrasive edges. Also free spin them do they sound dry rattle. Might need a replacement.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I did belts last summer on mine, I ordered whatever RockAuto had for it, both serpentine and the A/C belt. Been fine since.

Reactions: DE DORSETT

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Just like any part on a car or truck. With over 10 years of service, parts get clogged and dirty or just plain wear out. Look at the tensioner with the engine running. If the tensioner movements are jerky and not smooth. It either needs replacement or to be cleaned and lubed. Take off the belt and see if it still has full movement in the pivot. If it’s not applying full pressure to the belt . The belt will slip and cause heat in the belt and compressor pulley. Not good for either. If the pivot is smooth after lubing your OK. A fresh pulley and your good to go with a new belt. If not, replace the tensioner. Since your belt never came off, a stock replacement one will do. If you want to spend the extra on a double pulley one, your choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the newer 2 pulley bracket from Pace, the a/c belt coming off on a 90* day is a real pain in the ass and usually destroys belt. Haven't installed it yet, but real soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts