Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice to know.. I ordered rpm version of Gates. Recommended by forum member.
I bought the newer 2 pulley bracket from Pace, the a/c belt coming off on a 90* day is a real pain in the ass and usually destroys belt. Haven't installed it yet, but real soon.
I would like to know what makes the factory belts stay on but the replacement belts fall off. What has changed in that time?

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Plenty of variables such as time and various belt sizes. Over time a belt has a tendency to strech. A brand new belt tensioner has a higher propensity to keep everything snug. A stretched belt paired with a compromised pulley or inferior setup can create a problem(s).

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
So egg on my face. :D

I had the hood open this afternoon to look at something else, so I looked. Sure as ****, the A/C belt is halfway off... No real damage to the belt, what I think kept it on was that there is a little ridge on the harmonic balancer that wouldn't let it move any further forward. It just rode the idler halfway as well as the balancer and A/C compressor. :D

Not sure when or what caused it to take place. I changed the oil recently and it wasn't doing this at that point. So it's been recent.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts