Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new company called Range Technology has something worth looking into.
I'm buying one and will let you all know what happens with my 5.3 truck. I would list a thread on another forum with "lots" of info, but I might get abolished again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
googled it and their site doesn't have much explanation on what it does since they say they're redoing it.

As far as I can see it's some kind of chip that disables AFM/DOD and looks like it plugs into the obd2 port

·
Registered
216 Posts
If thats the case those with any aftermarket tune have the option to turn the feature off, even a cortex can do it. The doors start really opening up after the mechanical assembly is addressed.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's no big deal on a car as old as an '08 or '09, but the real kicker for new cars and trucks with this thing is that it leaves NO trace in the vehicle computers when removed that there's been any kind of tampering with the programming like the traces the various tuners leave behind, even when you put the "stock" tune back in for dealer service.

There's a "run-on" sentence for you.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
I know it's no big deal on a car as old as an '08 or '09, but the real kicker for new cars and trucks with this thing is that it leaves NO trace in the vehicle computers when removed that there's been any kind of tampering with the programming like the traces the various tuners leave behind, even when you put the "stock" tune back in for dealer service.

There's a "run-on" sentence for you.

ok now im interested

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the V8 Only model in Thursday, plugged it in, and...........V4 operation is GONE. Engine runs like I remember a V8 running way back before AFM/DOD. I'm happy, but that's just me.

Check 'em out on their website. If you're interested, there are several coupon codes available. ($15-$20 off)

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Further update: the V4 crap is still gone; 5.3 runs like a real V8 should and if I drive like I should (sanely!), my average mpg has gone up by almost 2 mpg.

I'm happy.

Range Technology AFM Disabling Device RA003.

·
Registered
143 Posts
AFM/DOD is garbage. I tuned it out with a cortex and my highway mpg went up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
i need to check their site again.what i read and understood a month ago was that it keeps you in the 4cyl mode more often therefore saving gas.i want the 4cyl thing gone.this in and out thing sucks and sounds terrible too.CANT be good for the engine either.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
99SSragtop- i just took my first little trip with v8 module installed yesterday- it worked great.pm me if u like and u can call me to discuss...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts