Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to put on some after-market mufflers on my G8, not the whole cat-back system. This is possible, isn’t it? I can just buy the mufflers and have those put on right?

What are the correct muffler no’s for the Borla and the Hooker Aero Max? I hear that they are the quietest and deepest out there.

Also, where is the best place to buy them, Summit? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TROY TrackBeast: slick application, very nice! However, it was not very helpful on a couple of levels: It didn't say where the purchase was made, whether it was a stock configuration replacement, there was talk of 3" tubing, etc.

I'm looking to match the stock pipe configuration if that is possible. Take off the stock mufflers and put on some new after markets mufflers. Same pipe diameter. A lot of the sites are not helpful, Summit, Jegs, etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The hookers are just mufflers. U have get a shop to fab them up which is why u need the tubing and flanges.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hookers are just mufflers. U have get a shop to fab them up which is why u need the tubing and flanges.

OK, so just buy the mufflers and then have the muffler shop weld in/fab the mufflers with their pipes?

What do you mean by tubing and flanges? Do I buy those or the muffler shop does that?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
got to learn to dig 6.0. That first link that came up shows the PN 21602HKR

I typed that into google and summit racing was the first thing that popped up. It does require some fabbing and the help of an exhaust shop to piece together the mufflers, tips, flanges etc.

Have you looked into Solo Performance Axle backs? They are a direct bolt in replacement for the stock configurations. Tips and everything....just boom, 15 mins in the driveway and your done. They sound and look great. That would be my recommendation over the two set ups that you have mentioned. More info found here

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29495

·
Registered
209 Posts
Solo is the way to go--you avoid drone, they sound nice, quality product, and they bolt right on. Cannot beat Solo for customer service either. That's where I'd go if I were looking for axle-back. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, that is helpful, thank you. So, do we want a center in center out muffler, or offset muffler, 2 1/2" O.D. or I.D.? What size tips are stock or what is recommended?

I will check out Solo mufflers also, I saw where they have 5 different sound levels from low/quiet to progressively louder. However, I noticed that they were full systems with J pipes, x pypes, and otjher stuff based on each system. I wonder how the individual mufflers will work. I'll give them a call and discuss.

The only decibel information I saw was via an old Mustang Magazine decibel test that basically tested a number of mufflers and had the Borla's and Hooker's being the quietest at idle, 2,000 RPM and WOT. A lot of good feedback on those 2 mufflers, also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why are you trying to go 100% custom, vs getting an axle back thats 4 bolts off, 4 bolts on ? plenty o' options out there.
Elephant rider:

1. $’s – I’d rather spend the money on other go fast parts - headers, intake, high ratio rockers. Cat backs are damn expensive.
2. I just want a bit of a sound change, it’s too quiet stock, and the stock system flows more than well enough to support much higher horsepower levels

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elephantrider: sorry, on my second read through I saw that you wrote AXLE back, not CAT back systems. I'll have to investigate that, not sure how much those cost. Hopefully they are a lot less than the $900-$1,400 cat back systems...

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Elephantrider: sorry, on my second read through I saw that you wrote AXLE back, not CAT back systems. I'll have to investigate that, not sure how much those cost. Hopefully they are a lot less than the $900-$1,400 cat back systems...
$300-$500 range

check that link I posted above to some in the FS section

·
Registered
411 Posts
Elephant rider:

1. $’s – I’d rather spend the money on other go fast parts - headers, intake, high ratio rockers. Cat backs are damn expensive.
2. I just want a bit of a sound change, it’s too quiet stock, and the stock system flows more than well enough to support much higher horsepower levels
If you are planning or even thinking of getting long tube headers, it would probably be best to either have a custom axleback made or get an axleback kit that uses mufflers. The solos are nice but they are not mufflers and will probably be way too loud with headers. You could get a set of offset in/center out mufflers and have them made into axlebacks using your stock mufflers for the tips, flanges, and tubing. This way you would be set for headers in the future without having to sell anything you no longer like or need. Just be carefull because G8s can drone very badly with aftermarket mufflers and some cars are worse than others when it comes to drone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want sound then get the gxp mufflers. It is not too loud and with the active management has a little rumble but not anoing. Would be a better choice for what you want.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
i refuse to the read the thread... either hack out stock mufflers and put whatever you want in or buy OBX axleback for 250ish... after that you're looking at 500+ for axlebacks or 3k or so for full exhaust it seems.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
I had a hacked stock catback before with Magnaflow x, Magnapacks and no cats, and I just had my exhaust done today, the whole section from the header flanges, all the way back, reusing my Flowmaster exhaust tips i had from 4 years ago, in 2.5" all around, so O/R mid pipe with Magnaflow X and the whole cataback with Magnaflow 12226 mufflers for $650.

And really, i have no idea about the drone people complaint about with Magnaflow mufflers, the Magnapacks i had where a lot louder, but since i'm keeping my car without cats, i wanted a more subtle exhaust tone, and i just accomplished it with Magnaflow as i knew they were not going to be super loud from previous Lsx experiences.

I've cut the noise at startups, cruising is a lot more quiet now, and while i lost some loudness at WOT compared to my old Magnapacks, she's still "V8 awesome" loud at WOT, she's still pretty loud, just not Magnapack loud :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.