Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now I'm looking for some info.

After a couple of runs, I noticed that 3rd to 4th was hanging just until I got to the 1/4 and then it would shift. Troy Trackbeast and Rick C was there to guide me with the info regarding how to get the car to hit 4th gear before the end of the 1/4. I tried what they told me but it still wasn't to my liking but it did work somewhat. It did shift into 4th but right at the 1/4 mark as where it didn't do this before I tried the burnout box trick.

The weird thing is that one of my runs, I decided to shift it into 4th halfway thru the 1/8 and 1/4 and I was able to get an extra mile per hour out of the car but still wasn't my fastest run time-wise.

Have any of you tuned your trannies so that it will shift at a lower RPM so it will shift well before you enter the 1/4? What rpm has worked for you guys if this is what you did?

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
What RPMS are you at right now? Maybe if you bump it up to 6800 or 6900 you can stay in 3rd which is better? Looking at your MPH (104) you could go up to 108 or 109 on stock 2.92 gear around 6800 if I remember correctly. When I did that, it took .1 and added a mph

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What RPMS are you at right now? Maybe if you bump it up to 6800 or 6900 you can stay in 3rd which is better? Looking at your MPH (104) you could go up to 108 or 109 on stock 2.92 gear around 6800 if I remember correctly. When I did that, it took .1 and added a mph
I'm at stock RPMs on all shift points. If bumping it up to 6800 doesn't hurt my oil pump then I won't get into making it shift before the 1/4 mark. The one time I did make it shift before the 1/4, I trapped at 105.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I don't think you can spin it up that high with the stock hardware (lifters, etc). I was thinking 6400 was max on the stock stuff. Either way, another test and tune playing with the settings should get some more out of her. A set of 3.45 gears like Rick was running would help it a ton on getting into that sweet spot in 4the before the line...

Any traction issues on the 1-2 shift?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I backed my 3-4 shift about 2 or 3 mph and it seemed to be the sweet spot for my. I think I have it set at 101 mph @ 6400 rpm

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you can spin it up that high with the stock hardware (lifters, etc). I was thinking 6400 was max on the stock stuff. Either way, another test and tune playing with the settings should get some more out of her. A set of 3.45 gears like Rick was running would help it a ton on getting into that sweet spot in 4the before the line...

Any traction issues on the 1-2 shift?
Yeah I'll probably just leave it where it is.

I had no traction issues at all banging thru the gears at 25%, which shifts pretty hard at WOT.

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I backed my 3-4 shift about 2 or 3 mph and it seemed to be the sweet spot for my. I think I have it set at 101 mph @ 6400 rpm
Do you know what RPMs that would be? 5800 or something around that ballpark?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Same thing was happening to me, so when it shifts to third press the down shift to hold third accross the finish line. Only thing is it will hit the rev limiter right after the line, but I'm only running 13.3s

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I had always heard to put it to manual mode and hold 3rd till the end of the 1/4 mile that the shift to 4th would cost me a tenth or 2. My best runs so far have been done holding 3rd but then I do have a few more mods then just an intake. ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
G8-4-Speed says he runs 6800RPMs on DOD hardware: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68151
Rick has DOD but is cammed no way the OP can spin his that high.

Are you shifting or letting the trans shift on its own? Its been awhile but I think when I had the Cortex I changed the 1-2 & 2-3 so it let me hold 3rd till just after the 1320 it worked well for me I cant remember where I set it but if you play with it at the next test & tune I am sure you will find the sweet spot.

What was your ET? Get ready for an itch that needs scratching if you had a good time at the track, your in for a fun ride especially if your near Rick he has a great knack for making our cars FAST.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I had always heard to put it to manual mode and hold 3rd till the end of the 1/4 mile that the shift to 4th would cost me a tenth or 2. My best runs so far have been done holding 3rd but then I do have a few more mods then just an intake. ;)
Stock, this is likely the best way. even a change to DRs caused me to have to go to 4th.

The weak stock valve springs will limit the upper RPM end. I'm sure Rick has long since sent his to valve spring heaven.

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I was thinking more along the lines that to spin up to those RPM's one would need an aftermarket cam. On the Stock cam setup it wont spin up that high.
+1...............

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you shifting or letting the trans shift on its own? Its been awhile but I think when I had the Cortex I changed the 1-2 & 2-3 so it let me hold 3rd till just after the 1320 it worked well for me I cant remember where I set it but if you play with it at the next test & tune I am sure you will find the sweet spot.

What was your ET? Get ready for an itch that needs scratching if you had a good time at the track, your in for a fun ride especially if your near Rick he has a great knack for making our cars FAST.
I did some research before heading to the track and decided that the ONLY way to go down the strip in this car is in Sport mode and it worked pretty damn good. My best of the day was 13.3 at 104 mph (87 oct tune for a baseline run) and that was in Sport without shifting it into 4th manually.

Then I tried the burnout trick while smoking the tires in manual and shifting thru the gears until I hit forth then pulled up to the line. It did shift into 4th but just before I hit the 1/4 mark. So I'm guessing I need to just leave the shift point where it is but I think this is all I'm going to get out of her with 87 octane. The next run will be on 93 and I should be able to hit 12's but that may be a stretch.

Yes, I'm glad the guys asked me to come down and got to meet Rick. I think he's ready to take some of my money. LOL

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you know what RPMs that would be? 5800 or something around that ballpark?
I set it with HP tuners. 6400 was the shift rpm. I picked up 1 mph trap speed. I'm not running a stock cam either, so my power band is a little higher than stock.

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I set it with HP tuners. 6400 was the shift rpm. I picked up 1 mph trap speed. I'm not running a stock cam either, so my power band is a little higher than stock.
Gotcha. It's not worth me damaging anything to gain 1mph.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think this is all I'm going to get out of her with 87 octane. The next run will be on 93 and I should be able to hit 12's but that may be a stretch.
Pretty sure sport is the right way to go for your setup.

Im not sure switching to 93 will net you .3+ but I hope you get a better time.

What was your 60' and RPM were you leaving at? You could try treating your tires and see how much higher of RPM you can leave at might help as well.

Im sure you will get plenty of great advice from the group out there they have some proven setups and know what they are doing at the track, its addicting have fun and be safe out there man.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts