Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scoured the web and searched this forum for the best answer. I have not found one. I am getting the usual P0101 code at idle. I have cleaned the throttle body in side and out. Code still comes up I have not tried the Ford trick (jumping the + and - terminal on the unit)

My question is if the throttle body is toast is OEM through the dealer better than aftermarket via Summit Racing or Edlebrock?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is nice and tight no cracks and seated the pins are nice and shiny too so no corrosion.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
...I am getting the usual P0101 code at idle...
Isn't this code for the mass airflow sensor versus the throttle body? If so, check the air filter, snorkel, etc. for debris or dirt. Can also try cleaning the mass air flow sensor. By the way, suggest purchasing an oem throttle body from a reputable online retailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be, my neighbor works for NAPA his suggestion was to as the forums on the possibility of the aftermarket route since the oem is more.. I mean the OEM lasted 178k, what ill do is clean everything reset the code and see what comes back.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
OEM > aftermarket. Ask the aftermarket what reliability stress they have done. You will hear crickets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OEM > aftermarket. Ask the aftermarket what reliability stress they have done. You will hear crickets.
Cant argue with that. I tried a few for the Chevelle wanted to go EFI but said forget it and went carb.

Update I cleaned the MAF and reset the code has not come back yet.

However a P0121 has...

The only reason I was considering aftermarket throttle body is if that sensor were to be bad (P0121) the sensor itself is a replaceable part I would rather replace a $12 part vs a $200 part if it were to fail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have scoured the web and searched this forum for the best answer. I have not found one. I am getting the usual P0101 code at idle. I have cleaned the throttle body in side and out. Code still comes up I have not tried the Ford trick (jumping the + and - terminal on the unit)

My question is if the throttle body is toast is OEM through the dealer better than aftermarket via Summit Racing or Edlebrock?
I had the same problem when I first got my G8GT
I put on three different aftermarket throttle bodies and none of them fixed it. I finally dropped the money on an OEM throttle body and have never had the problem again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem when I first got my G8GT
I put on three different aftermarket throttle bodies and none of them fixed it. I finally dropped the money on an OEM throttle body and have never had the problem again.
Thanks Red

Did you get yours from the dealer or from a parts supplier?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got mine from Partsgeek.com and saved a lot of money over the dealership price. It looks like they are out of stock now but Rockauto has them for $466.99.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been running JET MAF sensor for about four years. A little better performance and no problems. So I bought a JET throttle body when the time came. Again, a little better performance and no problems for about three years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you have to get a retune or was it just a drop/bolt in and go

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Color of the throttle body's butterfly valve? The mass airflow sensor should be plug-n-play and per their website fits the GT and GXP models. The don't list a throttle body for the GT nor GXP only the V6 which is rather an odd target audience. Original equipment throttle body replacement on the GT and GXP requires a relearn procedure usually accomplished via a TechII or equivalent.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you have to get a retune or was it just a drop/bolt in and go
Yes, just bolt it up. Of course, anytime I do anything that is computer related, I disconnect the battery negative clamp before starting the work and hook it up after the work is done. Then I let the car idle for 20-30 minutes to do the relearn procedure before driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts