Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 G8 V6 3.6L that has the common Airbag Fault on the DIC. I had the auto shop teacher at the high school I work at scan the codes and gave me a B0081 and U0170, which are the typical ones for a bad PPM under the passenger seat; I ordered a new module. The shop teacher cleared all the codes, I pulled the negative terminal on the battery, swapped the module, and now I get just the B0081 code. I have read that the module needs to be reprogrammed (passenger seat need to be zero'd out). The shop teacher was unsure where to go on his Snap On scanner to do this. He found the PPS section and there were options to set trigger, arm trigger, and clear trigger (there might of been one more option but I can't remember). He wasn't sure what to do and didn't want to take any chances. Any idea on what needs to be done here?

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I have a 2009 G8 V6 3.6L that has the common Airbag Fault on the DIC. I had the auto shop teacher at the high school I work at scan the codes and gave me a B0081 and U0170, which are the typical ones for a bad PPM under the passenger seat; I ordered a new module. The shop teacher cleared all the codes, I pulled the negative terminal on the battery, swapped the module, and now I get just the B0081 code. I have read that the module needs to be reprogrammed (passenger seat need to be zero'd out). The shop teacher was unsure where to go on his Snap On scanner to do this. He found the PPS section and there were options to set trigger, arm trigger, and clear trigger (there might of been one more option but I can't remember). He wasn't sure what to do and didn't want to take any chances. Any idea on what needs to be done here?
What you need is a Tech 2 or its alternatives (VXDIAG NANO).

If the module needs to be reprogrammed, you would need the hardware and access to TIS 2 Web (~$40 single VIN license for a year) to perform SPS programming.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
You beat me to it by seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I have read all of those posts BEFORE I made my post as they did not contain the information I am asking; unless I missed it. I have access to a tool that can reprogram but unsure what steps are to be done to actually reprogram the PPM/PPS.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Can only recall members taking the car to the stealership to have the module programmed. Don't remember reading step-by-step do it yourself instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Ok, so I have read all of those posts BEFORE I made my post as they did not contain the information I am asking; unless I missed it. I have access to a tool that can reprogram but unsure what steps are to be done to actually reprogram the PPM/PPS.
What tool?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it was a Snap-On Ethos. Doesn't matter, I am sitting at the dealership to get it "hopefully" programmed now. The SA's don't seem to follow what I am asking...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well $140 later and the PPM is reprogrammed and all appears to be good. All in all, this was a $200 fix for the module & labor to program.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I think it was a Snap-On Ethos. Doesn't matter, I am sitting at the dealership to get it "hopefully" programmed now. The SA's don't seem to follow what I am asking...
Well $140 later and the PPM is reprogrammed and all appears to be good. All in all, this was a $200 fix for the module & labor to program.
You could have avoided the dealership for less than that and still have a tool that does exactly what they did.

Maybe it is best to heed the advice of others. Especially advice that you were seeking through the creation of this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Am all for saving money by steering clear of the stealership, but doubt I would attempt to properly calibrate/program a passenger presence module without knowing exactly how to do so. Rather err of the side of caution and leave this task to the experts especially if the passenger seat is frequently occupied.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Am all for saving money by steering clear of the stealership, but doubt I would attempt to properly calibrate/program a passenger presence module without knowing exactly how to do so. Rather err of the side of caution and leave this task to the experts especially if the passenger seat is frequently occupied.
I will post an image later tonight showing the same exact menu the dealership uses to calibrate said sensor.

I believe the service manual states how to perform it as well using the Tech II.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts