Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm retiring the Kayhan and doing this. It's Alpine's just released 9" floating screen unit with wireless Android Auto, HD screen and their VE Series 1 dash kit for HVAC and vehicle parameters. It may be a week or two before I can get it installed.

It's this, with the newer version of the head unit.

Output device Gadget Gas Technology Display device

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Interesting. The brand Alpine brings back quite a few old memories of a compact disc changer in the trunk. Curious, why did you decide to abandon the Kayhan and go a different route?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Kayhan is glitchy enough, and it's bonus season at work. Lol

The Kayhan is ok as long as you know how to baby it. Restart every few days and factory reset when it gets too out of pocket. The factory reset barely resets any settings, more of a reinstall of the interface that leaves background files as-is, doesn't wipe the cache.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I saw somebody post pictures of that set up on a Facebook group.
He said the fan controls are reversed (like Aerpro FP9450BK), he was able to rewire the sensors and flap controllers to make it work as expected... were you able to find that info yet?

It's gonna be a neat set up for sure!

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Very well. The screen of the Alpine Halo seems a wee bit oversized but could merely be a personal preference. Interested to see how it all comes together and functions once installed. Remember pictures or it never happened.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He said the fan controls are reversed (like Aerpro FP9450BK), he was able to rewire the sensors and flap controllers to make it work as expected... were you able to find that info yet?

I haven't seen that. Can you point me to it?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Very well. The screen of the Alpine Halo seems a wee bit oversized but could merely be a personal preference. Interested to see how it all comes together and functions once installed. Remember pictures or it never happened.
There are 7", 9", and 11" options. My kids will watch movies from the back seat. I wanted something tiltable to get away from glare which meant 7" was out. 9" is a good viewable size from the back seat. 11" just seemed too dang big.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed it today. There are a few things to work out still. I need a VIM bypass. I don't understand the HVAC interface yet. A pleasant surprise was that it pushes the outside temp and time to the top of the DIC, but the time is in the wrong time zone and won't update to match the headunit. And I need to do a little wire swapping to make it control driver side and passenger side HVAC the right way. I hooked up a Roku to the HDMI input.I need to get the matte screen protector to cut the glare down. Also, the screen tilts and allows access to open space behind. I need to get a DIN pocket to put in there to make it usable to small things.

Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel Audio equipment Vehicle audio

Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car

Vehicle Gear shift Car Steering part Automotive design

Automotive design Vehicle Mode of transport Gadget Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
221 Posts
That looks really good. Definitely updates our dated interior.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Was the installation pretty straightforward?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the most part. There is one connector that has one of three pins populated, labeled Narva or something like that and is otherwise a mystery unless you realize it fits the unused connector associated with the 12v outlet below the radio. It is just for a 12v switched lead. Me, I have the lighted cubby, so I was using that connector. So I spliced into the other one that wasn't used anymore. Also, there is an extra wire that connects to the radio antenna adapter with mismatched connectors. Had to put new matching connectors on that.

Nothing unreasonable.

The headunit came with a GPS antenna but I don't know why. There isn't any built-in nav.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot a DIC pic to show the time and temp.

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Automotive design Automotive lighting

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
56 Posts
The included GPS antenna is for Android Auto/Apple Carplay use.
One of those requires a hardwired GPS antenna to certify the radio unit for use - I believe it's Apple?
The GPS info is made available to the phone, it's (potentially) more precise than the phone's built-in GPS antenna.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

I would think that the fan control on the left side would be correct. All the cars I've owned for years has the fan control knob on the left. Includes cars made in Japan, Germany and the US.
Guess I'm just used to it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's 2 grand after converting to USD. Still, not cheap.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
About how long did the unit take to arrive upon purchasing? Website states available on backorder.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dash kit took a week or so from AU. The radio, I preordered from Sonicelectronix.com then they changed to it backorder the next day. About a week later they shipped it out, and showed it in stock for a short time then back to backorder. Most sites I looked at had similar behavior. Amazon might have it available right now.

Preorder price at Sonic was about $200 less than what they are listed at now.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found today that the hvac/sport display is done by Folcik, just like the one in the G8Designs dash kit.

Automotive lighting Plant Font Display device Television

1 - 20 of 29 Posts