Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dash kit took a week or so from AU. The radio, I preordered from Sonicelectronix.com then they changed to it backorder the next day. About a week later they shipped it out, and showed it in stock for a short time then back to backorder. Most sites I looked at had similar behavior. Amazon might have it available right now.

Preorder price at Sonic was about $200 less than what they are listed at now.
I just tried ordering the kit from the link you post earlier and the website only ships in Australia. How did you get them to ship to you? I’m safely assuming you had it shipped to United States. I also found it on ebay and the vendors on there say they don’t ship to United States.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I messaged their customer service, got a person named David that said he'd ship me the dash kit. I don't think just the kit is listed in their site. He didn't want to sell me a radio though because the AU FM stations are on even numbered tenths. The built in nav they got might also have been AU centric as well. I had to order a US version radio from a US source, Sonic Electronics in my case. I can set it to tune to odd tenths or all tenths, but not even tenths. Why they aren't making one unit that can work anywhere, I don't know. I see a few regional versions of this radio out there.

*Looking just now, AU stations are even and odd tenths. So, I don't know...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh and plus I saw in your pics, that you have the 3 gauges installed above the vents. I have been trying to find who does that. I heard rumors that someone in New England area does that modification, but I can’t find out who….lol.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I bought the HSV gauges and pod from either eBay.com.au or Crazy Paul, can't remember. It's been over ten years. Installed them myself.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I installed the parking brake bypass for settings and VIM and it works as expected. I also installed Alpine's anti-glare screen protector. It is decidedly not anti-glare.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Reactions: Wildfan1976

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had the Micro Bypass installed for a few days. It had a slightly annoying behavior where if I turn the key to start too fast, the bypass's sequence of supplying ground to the parking brake wire gets interrupted and I get locked out of the settings and video playback entirely until I cycle the power. So, I put in a switch instead. I would have been pausing my key between on and start for a couple seconds just about every time on the chance that I wanted settings or video. With a switch hiding inconspicuously on the side of the console, I can successfully cycle the ground whenever I want. Overall, it'll be less input on my part.

While I did that today and worked out my steering wheel control issue, I also put in a DIN pocket. Don't know what I'm going to put in there. Probably things that won't rattle, or maybe I'll put some thin self stick foam lining in there so it can be a bit more versatile.

Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Light Vehicle

Grille Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed it today. There are a few things to work out still. I need a VIM bypass. I don't understand the HVAC interface yet. A pleasant surprise was that it pushes the outside temp and time to the top of the DIC, but the time is in the wrong time zone and won't update to match the headunit. And I need to do a little wire swapping to make it control driver side and passenger side HVAC the right way. I hooked up a Roku to the HDMI input.I need to get the matte screen protector to cut the glare down. Also, the screen tilts and allows access to open space behind. I need to get a DIN pocket to put in there to make it usable to small things.

View attachment 187868

View attachment 187869

View attachment 187870

View attachment 187871

View attachment 187872
I found today that the hvac/sport display is done by Folcik, just like the one in the G8Designs dash kit.

View attachment 187906
I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat... "MOANS AND GROANS"

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wasn't saying it like it's a bad thing. The interface is different and a lot prettier, IMO. There is a graphic display instead of more or less just buttons, and a performance page and lap timer.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts