Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Not sure, but I've replaced mine twice and I only have 74K miles on it. So that's 3 alternators used in 74K! Not sure if it's the heavy amps from the Blaupunkt system or the high revs from wicking it. I got the last one at Rock Auto. $150 for AC Delco remanufactured. Took about 1.5 hours R&R.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Not sure, but I've replaced mine twice and I only have 74K miles on it. So that's 3 alternators used in 74K! Not sure if it's the heavy amps from the Blaupunkt system or the high revs from wicking it. I got the last one at Rock Auto. $150 for AC Delco remanufactured. Took about 1.5 hours R&R.
From reading here, the remans seem to go out fast. I was advised to go with new AC Delco. I got one from Amazon and it wasn't too much more than your reman. I know for sure it's cheaper than 2 remans! Edit. It was $202 on Amazon

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Am thinking yes, but can't say with absolute certainty. Believe the decoupler pulley has to be swapped over to the PPV alternator (manual transmission). Don't think the automatics have the decoupler pulley. At any rate, be sure to confirm or deny the notions prior to making a purchase.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I installed a new alternator in my car at around 100k miles just as a maintenance item and the new one went bad within a week. Pulled it out and put the old original one back in and it's still going strong.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I installed a new alternator in my car at around 100k miles just as a maintenance item and the new one went bad within a week...
Was the new alternator a genuine AcDelco?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Carquest remanufactured alternator. So another instance of a remanufactured one failing prematurely.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Indeed. Presume they accepted the return and issued a full refund. Have had some rather interesting interactions with parts counter clerks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
yup they accepted the return and refund. I would not have been happy if they didnt given all the labor involved and the fact that it only survived a week.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
241 Posts
278k miles, replaced alternator once with new GM.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
^^^ Darn good mileage out of the original alternator.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
241 Posts
Sorry, my syntax implied it lasted a long time. The original went about 160k. I am on my 2nd alternator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts