Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go just before Christmas Alternator warning light suddenly on. It came on just before I got to work, I shut off everything I could, it went out. Going home almost home and it came on again. Shut off everything again and it did not go off. I guess my question is? Is there a common problem other than I need to replace it? Connector melting as in the past GM's? Regulator goes at a certain mileage. Or is it pay $200 and replace it. Can the regulator be replaced? It is available for $50. Kind of wasn't expecting this problem just before XMAS. Obviously I need to diagnose this further. I haven't tested voltage yet. Just wanted to reach out to everyone for experienced advice on the G8 with the exact problem. Help

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just replaced my alternator. Exact same problem. Turned out I had a bad battery as well. Mechanic said bad battery could have caused the alternator to finally fail.
I also bought a "Battery Tender" now, to keep new battery from running down while garaged. PS, G8 alternators are not cheap :(

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
If you have to use the car (in its current condition), get the car into the engineering display mode prior to starting. You can then select the voltage output page to see how the Alternator is performing (voltage wise). To me it sounds like an Alternator failure. I know they are not cheap. It looks like it would cost you about $194 for a new unit at this time. That's very close to what I had to pay a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Batteries for these cars aren't the cheapest either according to my Visa bill....and I got an employee discount.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As always I can reach out to the G 8 owners on this page and get help. Thank you all very much. Yeah I kinda went against my gut and purchased a re manufactured one for $150 from one of the discount auto retailers. Luckily it all worked out. Lifetime warranty, took 4 days to ship to me. Pulled an all niter. Definitely recommend during reassembly using antisieze where ever mixed metals make contact. There was an underlying story to explain the all niter. It all happened over 5 days. I lost my Grandmother. All the savings went to Xmas gifts. Problem with the alternator started on Monday. Grandmother passed on Wednesday. Funeral on Friday. Ordered part on Monday. 3-4 days shipping. Received it 6 PM Thursday. Drove the car for the whole week to work only, waiting for the part. Left at 6 AM Friday to the funeral. 3 hours each way to northern Philly. What a test drive. I am keeping the core. I noticed I can get a regulator for $40 new. I figure that was the actual failure do to the intermittent working not working symptom. Great idea to monitor the voltage in engineering mode. But when it wasn't flashing alternator crossed the information screen it was charging above 12.6 Volts. Trust in the sensors right? Once again Thank You G 8 nation for the info. Happy XMAS to everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother especially during this "joyous" time of the year. Hopefully, the remaunfactured unit will last a reasonable amount of time. If you're able to conclude the regulator in the original unit failed, perhaps you could order a new one and replace it when both time and money permit. Essentially, you'll have a fully functional spare. Good luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you start having weird electrical problems with anything electrical, its the aftermarket alternator. The g8 is super picky when it comes to electronics and the rule of thumb is anything electrical, use AC Delco. Many many have bought 2 alternators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First take your battery to get tested at your local auto parts store. If it's bad they are about $130. If it is good then go for the alternator. And most auto parts places can get you ac delco parts the same day if not in stock with a warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts