Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I installed my rear aux setup fairly successfully. The whole time I was working on it I had the car off so I didn't notice the problem until late.

First of all let me break down the setup. I am mirroring my galaxy note 2 through the rear aux. I made my own aux cables, I have a 5 to 11 pin MHL specifically for the galaxy phones. I have my phone charger plugged into the MHL for power, I have a HDMI to RCA converter that I had to run power to as well. My 12v phone charger has 2 USB plugs on it so that wasn't a big deal as I just ran a 2nd USB cable from it to the converter to power it.

The setup works fine when the car is off and it works with the car on as well with the exception of the added alternator noise that increase with acceleration. I think the noise is being introduced at the HDMI to RCA converter though the USB power cable. If the car is running and I am hearing that slight whine/buzz it stops as soon as I unplug the power cable to the converter.

I have heard of the old school fixes to problems like this where they add some sort of filter to the power wire of an amplifier but I really don't know what to do with this setup.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
all i can tell you man is that there doesn't seem to be one single fix for this. people have had success in many various ways. others, like me are still struggling with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was able to fix mine by getting a female cigarette socket, soldering the power to the cigarette socket under the radio and attaching the ground to the right of the radio.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The key is getting rid of multiple ground paths. Your device is getting a ground from the RCA shield to the radio and from the power cord. Both those grounds are a bit different. Try running a wire between the radio chassis and the ground on your power source.. This should better tie them together electrically and give them the same potential. It should greatly reduce your whine.

I did the same as Wintershrinkage and it solved my problem.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to fix mine by getting a female cigarette socket, soldering the power to the cigarette socket under the radio and attaching the ground to the right of the radio.
The key is getting rid of multiple ground paths. Your device is getting a ground from the RCA shield to the radio and from the power cord. Both those grounds are a bit different. Try running a wire between the radio chassis and the ground on your power source.. This should better tie them together electrically and give them the same potential. It should greatly reduce your whine.

I did the same as Wintershrinkage and it solved my problem.
Thanks guys. Looks like this will be the next thing that I try.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Don't use ground loop isolators or filters like jkaetz said, you are just beating around the bush. Fix the problem at the source and you will never have to worry about it again

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Imma try this too, as I've got noise between music playing. No noise while music is playing, but the pause while Pandora is loading causes noise....weird eh?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Imma try this too, as I've got noise between music playing. No noise while music is playing, but the pause while Pandora is loading causes noise....weird eh?
what's happening there is your music is occupying the frequency that the noise is on, the interference is still there but in this case music is the stronger signal. If you ran a scope to the output signal you'd see instead of it being smooth on those frequencies it'd be all shaky and weird.

like others have said just fix the root problem...

I personally went one step further with my setup, i took power from the battery, ran a distribution block up front and i power my boost controller and my WDTV (hard drive controller and vid input) off that. Clean powahh :D

·
Registered
936 Posts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

It's probably always there, you just don't notice it while the music is playing. The volume of the whine is steady and doesn't increase with the actual volume of the music. Mine does it through the front aux, but only while my phone is charging.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Silver Bullet if you running all this off a plugged in charger in may not be grounded properly. First I'd try running a separate plug from a better grounded/power place to power your 12 charger. Bad grounds cause a lot of noise problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.