Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows anyone or has a American racing headers and borla exhaust setup. The reason I am looking into this is my g8 came with the borla exhaust and was wondering if I can hook them up. One shop I spoke to said they can fabricate them so I was just wondering. Also they are charging about 1200 for install and tune but every retune after would be 350 for any mod upgrades. All in all I would be looking at 2600 what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
$1200 is very high for the install and tune. We would be less than(right at) less than 1/2 of that.

I'm sure they can hook it up to the Borla, but with the quality of the ARH headers and exhaust I'd get their X that connects to your Borla axle backs......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would be a good price for the install and what would be a good price for a dynotune

·
Registered
189 Posts
Around $700 total would be a good number if including a FULL dyno and street tune for all of your modifications.

If they are custom fabbing your exhaust you can add some there. That's another reason I'd say get the ARH full exhaust and sell the Borla stuff to someone who can bolt it up to their stock manifolds!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The full system I believe would be about 1600 and I don't know because the shop im talking about is comes highly recommended but another shop that is also good charges 650 for a dynotune and 550 for any other retune for mods after and I don't really know anymore shops in long island , new York. Lol what to do.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd go to a reputable mom and pop shop for the headers. Most perform that install at home. Especially if you go with the full length ARH set up. The borla is worth at least 500 to 700 used. You now have enough left over for hp tuner set up and tune from Pat G or Rick Crawford... and they will retune the car way way way less remotely from what I've read. I had my headers put on for 325.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Installing headers isn't a difficult task. I've done it with just the front end of the car jacked up and me under the car with another person helping. Total install time was 2 hours and that was long only because we took our time and meticulously made sure that the headers were not interfering with any other components. Plus we weren't using a lift so being on my back for the install wasn't fun but not difficult by any means. I'd say that the install price is high and a good tune from a reputable company shouldn't exceed $600 and that's a dyno tune. A street tune would be even less, mail order even more savings.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
+ one for Pat or Rick. Pat gives you 3 retunes before he charges you again. It used to be unlimited but he changed that policy.

You don't have a friend of a friend, or family member Who knows a mechanic? Headers is pretty easy. If you do mid length headers, you won't have to push back the cats and mid muffler. I watched my buddy/mechanic do my mids and everything bolted right up. Took him an hour or so. I'm no mechanic and it looked easy.

Good luck finding someone. I know that cost of living in the NYC is high but I'd think you can get it done cheaper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Na haven't purchased the headers just yet waiting till after the holidays. Yea I see what you guys are saying thanks for the input I'm going to see what I do because I'm pretty sure I may know someone who could do the install for less and maybe get a tune from Pat or Rick. Thanks for all the i put guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for letting me know man! I'll let you know if I would want them. But if you don't mind me asking any reason you selling them and price?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Car is TT now, so no longer need. I have a VCM intake with all the panels too. As you know these headers aren't inexpensive and neither is the Swaintech coating. Simply put these are the best headers with the best coating that money can buy. Contact me if you would like to discuss further.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As mentioned before the header install was pretty straight foward. Just get it high on jackstands. I did mine myself and went smooth. Get a Pat G tune and save some money. His trans tune alone is worth the cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts