Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have done the VIM and Touch screen mods to the stock stereo, there's now a somewhat easy way to get android auto working with it! Someone has created a software stack for the raspberry pi that allows it to act as an android auto receiver. I just set it up and it seems to work quite well so far. I have not yet tested it with the touch screen, but i think that will likely be the most difficult part. I'm using a generic touch screen to USB adapter at the moment and I highly doubt that it'll "just work" with debian on the Pi. It also has setup instructions for using it as a BT receiver for calls if your vehicle doesn't have that already.

Project is here: https://github.com/f1xpl/openauto

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
For those that have done the VIM and Touch screen mods to the stock stereo, there's now a somewhat easy way to get android auto working with it! Someone has created a software stack for the raspberry pi that allows it to act as an android auto receiver. I just set it up and it seems to work quite well so far. I have not yet tested it with the touch screen, but i think that will likely be the most difficult part. I'm using a generic touch screen to USB adapter at the moment and I highly doubt that it'll "just work" with debian on the Pi. It also has setup instructions for using it as a BT receiver for calls if your vehicle doesn't have that already.

Project is here: https://github.com/f1xpl/openauto
Interesting.

I'm working on getting an android 5.1 box working with a capacitive touch screen overlay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean an overlay on the stock screen? If so, check out the MimicsG4 (not sure if i can link direct to it here, but google it and it'll come up). I had the original one for years and recently upgraded to the new model, it works great.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sub’d I’ve actually been pretty surprised by how easy the touch screen is on my laptop is to get working under Arch Linux. Might not be as difficult as you are thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do you mean an overlay on the stock screen? If so, check out the MimicsG4 (not sure if i can link direct to it here, but google it and it'll come up). I had the original one for years and recently upgraded to the new model, it works great.

$150!? + overlay + mirroring device. Doesn’t look like a bad solution but seems a bit pricey for DIY. Could you share a little more on how you justified the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i have a 1-1.5 hour commute (each way) every day and the G8 is my DD, so that seems rather cheap for something that i'll use so much. However the overlay was in the $10-30 range i think (this was many years ago at this oping) and there is no "mirroring device" cost for me. I just use my phone and have the "Auto Mate" app start up when connected to my car. Which is especially nice since everything i want is on my phone already and i don't have to manage yet another device and syn playlists or whatever other media i'd want.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well, i have a 1-1.5 hour commute (each way) every day and the G8 is my DD, so that seems rather cheap for something that i'll use so much. However the overlay was in the $10-30 range i think (this was many years ago at this oping) and there is no "mirroring device" cost for me. I just use my phone and have the "Auto Mate" app start up when connected to my car. Which is especially nice since everything i want is on my phone already and i don't have to manage yet another device and syn playlists or whatever other media i'd want.
I'm not questioning the cost of your setup, I was questioning the cost of the MimicsG4 setup. No I was already planning on the VIM hack and you actually gave me the motivation to tackle that. Just got my chip clip and EEPROM programmer already had the other cable for flashing routers. I also didnt realize until over the weekend you can get composite video out of the headphone jack on the Pi 2/3 so this is looking even more doable (it was hard to get excited about using a Pi 1, which was my original plan). Looking forward to see how your touchscreen overlay works, although if you have the system working without I'm not sure it matters much to me as I'm with you, doing it from my phone is more than acceptable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's what I had meant, the benefit i have gotten from the mimics setup (i've had it for several years) was definitely worth the cost. One thing to note is that it requires a mobile app to set up and calibrate, so that won't work with the Pi. I am talking with the developer to see if it's possible to make that work, but in the meantime you could likely find a way to hook the touch screen up to the pi directly. The ability to keep the car 100% stock looking and still have pretty complete mobile integration is awesome. If all you want is android auto, using a Pi+Touch overlay+VIM would probably be the way to go. However, if you want to mirror your phone and use something like Auto Mate, then I would definitely suggest Mimics.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
That's the exact one that I purchased. I got it before it went out of stock.

It looks like a quality piece and should be much better than any resistive touch screen overlay. I lines up perfectly to the stock screen. I purchased a new Sharp replacement screen since mine is a bit scratched up. How did you mount them together? Did you use any adhesive?

6.5" capacitive touchscreen - customGadz

Yeah that's what I had meant, the benefit i have gotten from the mimics setup (i've had it for several years) was definitely worth the cost. One thing to note is that it requires a mobile app to set up and calibrate, so that won't work with the Pi. I am talking with the developer to see if it's possible to make that work, but in the meantime you could likely find a way to hook the touch screen up to the pi directly. The ability to keep the car 100% stock looking and still have pretty complete mobile integration is awesome. If all you want is android auto, using a Pi+Touch overlay+VIM would probably be the way to go. However, if you want to mirror your phone and use something like Auto Mate, then I would definitely suggest Mimics.
I'm going a different route. I've posted a bit here (post 18): http://www.g8board.com/forums/9-stereo-electronics/269713-rgb-nav-video-input.html

RGB input would give you a better image than CVBS/Composite video. Also, RGB input via that NAV button (or power button on G8s once remapped) allows you to use any audio input while using the NAV input/RGB video.

So you could use Google maps using the NAV input yet still listen to XM or FM, etc. And if you wanted to watch YouTube, you'd use the AUX input for audio and push the power/NAV button for video.

And since it's an Android 5.1.1 box, it'll most likely support that Apple CarPlay dongle for Android.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was actually just thinking of this idea the other day!

Do you have your Pi plugged into the rear aux? Can you take a video of the entire thing in action? This is something I'm very interested in doing!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Pi Progress...

I was actually just thinking of this idea the other day!

Do you have your Pi plugged into the rear aux? Can you take a video of the entire thing in action? This is something I'm very interested in doing!
Video of Kodi running on top of Raspbian...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PI98dcUfcJ8twc9E2

I've since scrapped this setup and gone the Android Auto/Crankshaft route, hopefully the customgadz touch overlay will work with that setup as I'm waiting for that order.

Attached are pics of Android Auto/Crankshaft, seems like a much easier and better solution all around (unless you have an iPhone of course). Boot time is much faster than the Kodi/Raspbian setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll need to find an adapter to go from the touch screen ribbon to USB that is also compatible with the raspberry pi (raspbian) for that to work. I have yet to find one that I can say will definitely work (i've been doing a bit of searching). Most Pi touch projects just use the official screen.

I honestly still think you're better off mirroring your phone to the dash and running either AndroidAuto on your phone or AutoMate. There's no boot time since you're not using a Pi at all, you can use gmaps/waze/whatever for nav, and if you're running AA anyways you'll still need to have a cable plugged in.

I know i really do need to take a video of this running to show how it looks, i'll get on that soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You'll need to find an adapter to go from the touch screen ribbon to USB that is also compatible with the raspberry pi (raspbian) for that to work. I have yet to find one that I can say will definitely work (i've been doing a bit of searching). Most Pi touch projects just use the official screen.

I honestly still think you're better off mirroring your phone to the dash and running either AndroidAuto on your phone or AutoMate. There's no boot time since you're not using a Pi at all, you can use gmaps/waze/whatever for nav, and if you're running AA anyways you'll still need to have a cable plugged in.

I know i really do need to take a video of this running to show how it looks, i'll get on that soon.
Dang, that's what I was thinking as far as the USB was concerned. Anything you could share in that regard sounds helpful, at least to get me pointed in the right direction. Worst comes to worst, I figure I'll just go all mimics but I'm still hopeful I can pull this off.

Android Auto just announced wireless connectivity for Pixel and Nexus phones. Hopefully that is implemented into crankshaft/open Auto soon. I carry a Pixel 2 XL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry but I've only got more bad news for you. I'm in pretty frequently contact with the guy who makes the mimics and last I spoke with him about it, it's not compatible with the pi as you can't run the calibration on it (you calibrate via an app for Android/iOS). That was a month or two ago though, so maybe that has changed. Mimics works great with Android though. So maybe you could use head unit reloaded on an old Android phone and connect the mimics to that?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Any tips on installing the overlay?

Specifically related to routing the ribbon cable.

The customgadz capacitive touch overlay is slightly different in that it has an IC/chip (controller) very close to the overlay. With the fascia being tight as it is I just can't figure out how to have everything connected.

Right now, everything is installed except the PCB that expands the ribbon cable to wires (this came with the A-LINK).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using a resistive screen but I've been debating an upgrade to the capacitive one. I saw the same thing you did and wondered how best to solve it. I routed mine through a very tiny hole that the new one definitely wouldn't fit through. If you find a way, please post pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm using a resistive screen but I've been debating an upgrade to the capacitive one. I saw the same thing you did and wondered how best to solve it. I routed mine through a very tiny hole that the new one definitely wouldn't fit through. If you find a way, please post pictures.
Thanks and where is that hole? I also have a resistive one and it seems to be all ribbon.

I have the capacitive overlay one installed. I just don't have it connected because it has a small breakout board that just won't fit.

The breakout board (comes with the A-LINK) that converts the ribbon to wires:

Now I did follow a guide on YouTube (for installing an overlay in an Audi; link at the bottom) to use some cloth tape to attach the touch screen. That definitely added some thickness. And the initial response I received from customGadz was "the touchscreen sits in between the bezel and the LCD." So I surmise that no tape would be necessary and that would provide some extra space as it wouldn't be as tight.

I will mention that customGadz includes a somewhat similar breakout board when they ship their overlay.

I responded to customGadz and am waiting for a more descriptive response.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I didn't use any tape on mine as it was an already tight fit. Sadly i didn't take anywhere near as many photos as i probably should have while doing this. However, here's one of where I routed the cable through: https://imgur.com/a/i2YnECd

I didn't have to cut or break anything to do this. I routed the cable down towards the bottom of the radio fascia and then out towards the glove box. There's a convenient opening right where the bottom of the fascia meets the trim on the passenger side.

HUGE WARNING: Be very careful as you un-screw and then re-assemble the back of the fascia. The plastic posts that you are screwing into have likely become brittle over the last 9-10 years. Several of mine snapped off and had to be epoxied back into place. All in all, it's a VERY tight fit and the pressure that those screws apply are important as the buttons on the front rely on that pressure so that they can properly make contact. If there's extra room (you didn't tighten then enough) some buttons won't depress properly.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Yeah I didn't use any tape on mine as it was an already tight fit. Sadly i didn't take anywhere near as many photos as i probably should have while doing this. However, here's one of where I routed the cable through: https://imgur.com/a/i2YnECd

I didn't have to cut or break anything to do this. I routed the cable down towards the bottom of the radio fascia and then out towards the glove box. There's a convenient opening right where the bottom of the fascia meets the trim on the passenger side.
Thanks for the image. I'll upload it to the forum.

I see that you used the hole that's cutout for the existing smaller ribbon cable. I had the back cable bundle going through there with the breakout board underneath it. It was just too tight.

If the capacitive overlay's ribbon cable was much longer, I wouldn't have much of an issue.

Until I hear back from customGadz, my next solution might be to use a 6-pin to 6-pin extension board (0.5 mm pitch) and then a longer ribbon cable. That's assuming that the extension board will fit in the fascia. The good news about that is that the extension board has a lower profile than the breakout board that comes with the A-LINK.

If that doesn't work, then I'll solder the longer ribbon cable to the existing one. The soldered section will be taped onto the back of the fascia PCB so that it won't move. I'll insulate it as well. Then I'll route the longer ribbon cable similar to the way you routed yours. In fact, I'll go a step further and fold it 180° at a 45° angle, essentially changing the direction from northbound to eastbound (90°). Then I'll route it through the hole which will change direction westbound per your image. I'm going to purchase a long, 40 cm (15.75") FFC (flexible flat cable) which should be enough. That way, anytime I want to take the fascia off, I'll have enough leeway/slack.

FFC folding:

90° fold I was talking about:

Extension board (http://cgi.ebay.com/173014338030):

Longer FFC (6 pin, 0.5 mm pitch, forward direction; I bought a 30 pack): http://cgi.ebay.com/263415165450

HUGE WARNING: Be very careful as you un-screw and then re-assemble the back of the fascia. The plastic posts that you are screwing into have likely become brittle over the last 9-10 years. Several of mine snapped off and had to be epoxied back into place. All in all, it's a VERY tight fit and the pressure that those screws apply are important as the buttons on the front rely on that pressure so that they can properly make contact. If there's extra room (you didn't tighten then enough) some buttons won't depress properly.
This is very true.

I did find that one post on my hazard switch failed. I used some ABS cement to reattach it and it worked great. I'd wager that some of the same cement would work on those posts you mentioned. That's assuming they're made out of ABS plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of that detail! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

One other thing to look out for is the hdmi->composite adapter. The one I was using had a pretty terrible dac and cut off most of the lower bass frequencies. I ended up getting a $20 HDMI audio extractor off of Amazon. Most of them can be powered off of 5v, so I spliced together a USB cable to power both adapters at once.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
10 Participants
Jenson
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing