Pontiac G8 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hey - lets keep this on topic of "Discussion of the Android radio" -- there is a dedicated For Sale section, use that if you are selling one!

Thanks!

--zepcom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone used the android radio and the one that g8 designs offers?

I'm wondering what he differences are or what makes which ever one better than the other and which one you guys think looks better

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone figured out if it's possible to incorporate the XM/Sirius radio connection to these radios, even with additional hardware if necessary? I really like everything about these radios except that they don't seem to incorporate XM/Sirius. I listen with Sirius all the time and don't want to have to use my data connection all the time to stream to it (and I'd need to pay extra for the online subscription). You'd think that it would have a means to maintain this feature, but maybe it's more complicated.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just FYI, in case anyone isn't already in the ACE Performance FB group, the Version 2 Android radio is about to start production!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just FYI, in case anyone isn't already in the ACE Performance FB group, the Version 2 Android radio is about to start production!
Nice, please keep us updated!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Unfortunately, FB won't let me copy and paste the text, so here's a screenshot of what's new for V2. From what I can tell, most of the hardware, as well as OS version, is updated. It also allows screen mirroring for both Android and Apple devices. The part I'm most excited about is the built-in EQ that's separate for each input source.
It does seem that the new unit looks the same as far as chrome trim and such, but I think new for this unit is SD card slots on the front.
It also is cheaper than the V1, in part because he's optioned it to no longer come with cameras or a Bluetooth OBDII dongle. I purchased a wireless camera kit from Ebay Australia that replaces a license plate bulb assembly for $35 USD shipped and I got a dongle a couple of years back for $11 off of Amazon. So even having to buy my own stuff separately, it still is significantly cheaper than V1.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Unfortunately, FB won't let me copy and paste the text, so here's a screenshot of what's new for V2. From what I can tell, most of the hardware, as well as OS version, is updated. It also allows screen mirroring for both Android and Apple devices. The part I'm most excited about is the built-in EQ that's separate for each input source.
It does seem that the new unit looks the same as far as chrome trim and such, but I think new for this unit is SD card slots on the front.
It also is cheaper than the V1, in part because he's optioned it to no longer come with cameras or a Bluetooth OBDII dongle. I purchased a wireless camera kit from Ebay Australia that replaces a license plate bulb assembly for $35 USD shipped and I got a dongle a couple of years back for $11 off of Amazon. So even having to buy my own stuff separately, it still is significantly cheaper than V1.
What is the predicted price?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw the plate bulb cameras and thought they were a good idea. I think I'd prefer a hard-wired camera, but have you tried the wireless one? How's the reception? Also, what dongle are you referring to?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Normal price is $850 shipped ($100-125 cheaper than V1).

I just ordered my radio the other day so I won't be able to test out the camera for a few weeks yet. It does seem like good-quality hardware, and the auction *claimed* the units are good for 50 meters of open-air reception, so I'd assume 10 feet of seats and metal should still be fine. I do remember seeing a post with the same camera/plate bulb assembly with a hard-wire cable.

As far as the dongle, it's a Bluetooth device that plugs into your OBDII port that allows you to connect a smart device (phone/tablet/this radio) to the car via an app like Torque or DashCommand.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I realized my screenshot was small and poor quality. On desktop now, so I can copy/paste:

"The V2 Android Head Unit is almost finished. Below you will find the specs.
SPECIFICATIONS :
MEMORY 2G AND STORAGE 32GBYTE
WITH CAPACITIVE TOUCH SCREEN
ANDROID 4.4.4
SPEED CPU 1.6GHZ
MIRROR LINK FUNCTIONS ANDROID AND IPHONE ON SCREEN
INTERNAL BUILD IN WIFI
EXTERNAL MICROPHONE
RADIO - 6621 PHILIPS TUNER
DIRECT LINK WITH OBD2 ADAPTER
SEPARATE SOUND CONTROL FOR DVD, RADIO, USB, GPS, AUX AND 3G SOUND
REVERSE SOUND CONTROLABLE
AIR CONDITIONAL DISPLAY AND DOOR OPEN DISPLAY."

·
Registered
355 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to flash a better Android version on the unit? I'd be curious to do a Nandroid backup and experiment on newer firmwares.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My understanding is that 4.4 is currently the latest Android version that will play nice with the Canbus system of the car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Any word on V2?

·
Registered
472 Posts
So far it's working well! The only issues I've had were caused by my own carelessness, I believe.

Screen is super nice. Sounds good speaker/sub-wise. A/C controls are in Celsius and I can't figure out a way to change them to Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So far it's working well! The only issues I've had were caused by my own carelessness, I believe.

Screen is super nice. Sounds good speaker/sub-wise. A/C controls are in Celsius and I can't figure out a way to change them to Fahrenheit.
You got version 2?

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Yes, I went ahead and ordered one to be a "beta tester."
I believe they set up an owners only facebook group, you have to send Jessica a picture of your receipt or something. They might be able to help with the temps.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts