Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a recurring problem with our G8's... Any word of a possible recall or service bulletin??

Something that gets as little use as a hazard button should NEVER break, let alone when the car is only a few years old and the button has been pushed less than a dozen times. And I've seen the DIY fix... No way in hell I'm going through all that trouble for an obvious manufacturer defect haha.

So my question, I suppose, is not how to fix the button. My question is, how do we get enough people together to get GM to claim responsibility for the defect? Is anyone familiar with the process? I know there are a couple GM reps on here...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know this is a recurring problem with our G8's... Any word of a possible recall or service bulletin??

Something that gets as little use as a hazard button should NEVER break, let alone when the car is only a few years old and the button has been pushed less than a dozen times. And I've seen the DIY fix... No way in hell I'm going through all that trouble for an obvious manufacturer defect haha.

So my question, I suppose, is not how to fix the button. My question is, how do we get enough people together to get GM to claim responsibility for the defect? Is anyone familiar with the process? I know there are a couple GM reps on here...
Hello heyjay,

Sorry you have this issue with your hazard button. To answer your question, GM deals with vehicle issues in large on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, I recommend that I gather your information to build your case and document the issue for you. To do so, please private message me your VIN, current mileage, full name, address and phone number.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That is one of my complaints. However, when you use the switch use 2 fingers and apply even pressure on both sides. That seems to help.

I do agree, that switch is very flimsy.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Same problem here I don't even use it anymore cause it gets stuck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I think of having to use my Hazard switch, thoughts of being stranded or broken down on the road occur. That would hopefully be a rare occurrence. But it sounds like the posters have had several occasions occur where they needed to activate those lights. I hope your car doesn't break down that much. This is honestly not meant as a sarcastic response. I'm just looking for some clarification. Perhaps there are more reasons to use it then I realize. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I think of having to use my Hazard switch, thoughts of being stranded or broken down on the road occur. That would hopefully be a rare occurrence. But it sounds like the posters have had several occasions occur where they needed to activate those lights. I hope your car doesn't break down that much. This is honestly not meant as a sarcastic response. I'm just looking for some clarification. Maybe there are more reasons to use it then I realize. Thanks.
I needed to do use the button the other day on the highway.
Upon reaching the crest of an incline there was debris (multiple retreaded truck tires came apaart) all over the highway which was blind to anyone behind me.
I had to slow down very quickly and tried signaling the hazard & my declining speed to the traffic behind me.

I also used it a few weeks ago traveling a rural road in the morning.
I nearly missed hitting a deer and had to stop in the middle of the road with traffic behind me.
To the right, there were more deer entering the road trying to follow the others that crossed.
I also quick-flashed my high beams to oncoming traffic that was approaching at a good speed.
The guy slowed and saw what was going on.
As he passed me he waved and thanked me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I needed to do use the button the other day on the highway.
Upon reaching the crest of an incline there was debris (multiple retreaded truck tires came apaart) all over the highway which was blind to anyone behind me.
I had to slow down very quickly and tried signaling the hazard & my declining speed to the traffic behind me.

I also used it a few weeks ago traveling a rural road in the morning.
I nearly missed hitting a deer and had to stop in the middle of the road with traffic behind me.
To the right, there were more deer entering the road trying to follow the others that crossed.
I also quick-flashed my high beams to oncoming traffic that was approaching at a good speed.
The guy slowed and saw what was going on.
As he passed me he waved and thanked me.
Good examples. Those makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine broke with under 500 miles on the clock, just fell right trough the radio insert on the very first time I ever touched it. Very cheap product. They replaced the whole radio facia under warranty, but you might be able to pull the radio off and either zip-tie or superglue the switch back in.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Knock on wood, but I have to engage the hazard lights when entering and exiting the driveway at work. Between 6 to 8 switch engagements per week for roughly 78 weeks and zero issues as of yet. Maybe I have the magic touch or at least that's what the ladies say...:laugh:.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Knock on wood, but I have to engage the hazard lights when entering and exiting the driveway at work. Between 6 to 8 switch engagements per week for roughly 78 weeks and zero issues as of yet. Maybe I have the magic touch or at least that's what the ladies say...:laugh:.
I hit mine a few times a month... its always after someone generally honks the horn 3 times tho... idk what thats about :laugh:

·
out front & pulling away
207 Posts
Had to have mine replaced. ( new radio fascia ). You would think that GM should have to take care of gov't mandated vehicle safety equipment especially with a newer car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used mine for the first time since I have had the car this past weekend. Was putting up yard sale signs lol. Worked fine when I was putting them up but when taking them down just the button not the whole switch fell part way into the radio fascia. I managed to get the hazards turned off and the button fished back up in place most of the way, but I doubt it will work right anymore.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

What is so hard for people to understand? Cars break, thats it. Just because a car has a failure item, and they all do, doesn't justify a recall or something for free. You already got your free for 3 years, so start paying for something. I just had to buy a $200 battery. Am I complaining to GM, no.

Every single GM has at least 1 thing I can tell you is broke/needs replaced before even racking it. Its the way it goes.

Cobalt- LCA, struts
Malibu(2005-2008)-steering column
Trailblazer- Idler pulley, water pump, stab links, ball joints
C/K truck- Idler arm, pitman arm, front hubs, i-shaft, rear backing plates.
Aveo- Wheels
DTS/Northstar STS- Heads, head gaskets, transmission
Impala/Monte carlo- transmission, i-shaft, hubs, LCA, intake gaskets
Equinox- struts, A/C compressor, timing chain
Traverse- steering gear, transmission, water pump
Cruze- Thermostat housing, struts, water pump
Camaro- timing chains, injectors
Colorado- hubs, tie rod ends.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.