Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres what i got going right now, i have my engine apart waiting on a few parts. I had a lifter fail and timing chain tensioner break on the right side (sitting in car facing forwards. Im waiting on a backordered cam for my car and was thinking if there is another option to get one here tomm i would do it. I have done tons of research and alot of mixed opionions i would like some insight on "if" i should trow a cam in there. It "HAS" to be a gm cam. I kno alot better choice would be new era etc. Im keeping my dod lifters as well.

Can i go with a ls2/ls3 cam and still retain the dod. I relize i would need cam gear 3 bolt/bolts. and springs.

I would like to kno if i went with a ls3 or ls3 cam with ls9 springs would this be okay? No othere supporting mods currently and stock convertor. Keep in mind the only money im spending is the price of the cam, i have all new lifters, trays and gaskets sitting next to me as we speak, Thanks for the time!

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
yes, you can do an LS3 cam, keep DOD, and be OK. You will be fine with the LS9 (or 3 or 6) springs. Really even will not even need to change the tune. I ran that setup for a while.
Also, which tensioner are you going with? The black LS2 tensioner is really just whip restraint, but works fine. Going back with the yellow one will likely break again. I do not think they have redesigned it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response i did upgrade to the ls2.

So i need

ls3 cam
ls3 cam gear
ls3 cam gear bolts

correct? Thanks again did you notice a diffrence? How was idle choppy at all?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more quick question guys, just got my cam and when comparing the ls3 to l76 i noticed the second cam bearing does not have the groves that the l6 has!! Just want a quick comfirmanation that this is going to be okay before i get this thing back together.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I asked Bo a similar question in another thread. If the groove is for VVT and or AFM also.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
You will be fine. When I did this, my oil pressure actually improved. DOD motors do not need that groove. It's only for VVT motors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot guys, alittle update got the ls3 cam in the motor and all put back together yesterday. Went with the ls2 "chain guide". I replaced, all lifters, guides, pushrods, timing chain etc etc. Ive noticed i have a bit more cabin vibration when dod kicks on. I also ordered the cam with the number provided on a diffrent topic in the 3 bolt, and ordered a 3 bolt cam gear. When it came in i recieved a 1 bolt cam, so i went that route. I plan in the future to put alot bigger cam, when i can gather all supporting mods needed, (tc, lifters etc.)

Now for the good, i love the cam it deff pulls alot harder, seems like 3rd is the strongest gear. It has a very mild idle, but cam still feel the "Cam" in the car. I am overly happy for $100 i paid in all.

Thanks if anyone has any questions regarding anything that i did feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
So you installed new dod lifters? Where did you get them, were they expensive? Just curious.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts