Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this rattle in my center console for a few years now and since I'm replacing the stereo I decided to do what it takes to find it.

I first adjusted the emergency brake tension which needed it but that wasn't causing the noise.

Next I removed the center console and had a buddy ride with me and listen.

It starts to make a rattling sound on the freeway after you hit about 75mph and gets louder as you hit 80 - 85.

It sounds like its coming from the air duct under the emergency brake handle assembly but it is not related to if the fan is on or off and I wouldn't expect to find something in there. It also looks like it could be a challenge gaining access....perhaps not as I bad I think.

I'm determined to find it as I plan on keeping the car for awhile.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
I found some spare change under the console on mine. Down around the brake linkage. Fixed one rattle.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Pull the brake handle very slightly while you hear the rattle. There isn't much down there that can rattle. It's all pretty tight.

If the rattle goes away with slight tension then you need to adjust the parking brake cables.

Mind you, you're not applying the brake. You shouldn't hear the warning chime when adding slight tension. It should be just enough to keep it from rattling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts