Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my harmonic balancer replaced about 2 months ago due to it wobbling and causing my belt to chirp. Everything was going fine with the car after that. We just made a trip from SC to TX on Monday. Well today the car was driving fine as we got to my brother in laws parents house to say hello. We get ready to leave and as i'm pulling out of the driveway I notice that it feels like there is no power steering. I turn the car off and then back on thinking maybe something was tweaked. I go to make a turn and I am having to pull the wheel hard to turn. At this point I know something isn't right. Then the alternator light pops up on the dash so I shut the car off again. I pop the hood to see if I could see anything. I notice some oil kind of sprayed towards the bottom of the engine bay. I can't tell where it is coming from so I have my wife start the car. I notice that the belts start moving then slowly stopped after a couple seconds so I told my wife to turn the car off. I start feeling around and touch the bolt for the harmonic balancer and I can pretty much unscrew the bolt all the way out if I wanted. So we pushed it back to his parents house and I called for a tow truck. The tow truck came out and loaded up the car and we made it to the dealership 10 min before they closed. I talked with the guy in the service department and he said that they were going to check out the threads on the motor side to see if they are bad at all. He said if they are then they will have to tear apart the motor to replace the camshaft. He also said that it might not have been torqued properly. I'm hoping that's what the problem was and not for them to tear the motor apart. Anyway here is a pic of the car loaded on the flatbed.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Man that sucks . Hope yuh get her back soon.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I notice some oil kind of sprayed towards the bottom of the engine bay. I can't tell where it is coming from so I have my wife start the car.

He said if they are then they will have to tear apart the motor to replace the camshaft. He also said that it might not have been torqued properly. I'm hoping that's what the problem was and not for them to tear the motor apart.
When mine backed out the second time, it took the power steering pump seal with it, causing the PS fluid to spray all over.

If the bolt backed out and tore up the threads, the "crankshaft" will need replacing, not the cam.
If they determine that the bolt was not torqued properly, MAKE SURE that the repair sheet lists a new bolt. These CANNOT be reused, even if improperly (or insufficiently) torqued.

I hope it goes OK, Sorry your vacation was screwed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When mine backed out the second time, it took the power steering pump seal with it, causing the PS fluid to spray all over.

If the bolt backed out and tore up the threads, the "crankshaft" will need replacing, not the cam.
If they determine that the bolt was not torqued properly, MAKE SURE that the repair sheet lists a new bolt. These CANNOT be reused, even if improperly (or insufficiently) torqued.

I hope it goes OK, Sorry your vacation was screwed.
Yeah I ment crankshaft. Anyway the dealer called and said that it looks like the bolt was just left loose. They have all the parts on order (balancer, bolt, and belts) and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow so I can make the March Fun Run they have here on Saturday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
soon2BG8GT, did you have a dealership to the work previously to this? I apologize if I missed it. I would think that this would have been covered under the parts and labor warranty if a dealership did the prior work.

I hope she's as good as new, if not better when you get her back.

Your pic is so sad.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soon2BG8GT, did you have a dealership to the work previously to this? I apologize if I missed it. I would think that this would have been covered under the parts and labor warranty if a dealership did the prior work.

Your pic is so sad.
Yes I had a dealership do the work back in SC about 2 months ago. Hopefully I won't have to pay anything this time. I hated see the car on the flatbed.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts

Your pic is so sad.
Michelle, I agree 100%. However, if the crank threads are stripped (which they apparently are not) I can see where the dealership could try to deny - especially since the fix is very pricey - that they had a hand in the stripping of the threads.

To the OP, if the new bolt backs out again, the motor will emit a "chipring" noise before it lets go. Catch it at this stage and no problem. If It does back out agin, go with the ARP bolt. Mine was the only fix that "stuck".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts