Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know there are a ton of HSRK threads floating around but I didnt find out the specific info I was looking for.

I am looking at purchasing the Casper kit #108165

Is the harness long enough to place the new IAT sensor in the partitioned area of a Spectre intake close to the filter? Also is that the correct part number that I need from Casper?

Second, what do you think about this IAT sensor on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TS10072-AX3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257c6f385f&vxp=mtr

It is significantly cheaper than the ones from local parts stores...which are closer to $18 plus tax. If the ebay one looks good enough im going to try it out. I figure they are all probably manufactured in the same factory in China and boxed up differently for different parts stores.

Is this all I will need besides a rubber grommet for mounting the new sensor? What size grommet will I need?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
FWIW, IAT are not all the same. The HSRK purist will tell you only a "Omega" thermistor has the improved sensitivity.

I have dissected a few of the IAT sensors... the su-176 (brass body) has the "omega" thermistor in it. The remaining plastic body units (ebay, delco ect) have a cheaper thermistor in them. That all typed, I ran some bench tests on both, and no significant difference in reaction between the two.

The ebay one will be fine.

I did use the thermistor from the su176 only because it was easier to extend the thermistor itself, out of the body, into the airflow.

caveat emptor

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not going to spend $100 on the Vector package. I initially was going to build my own harness until I read about the Casper harness. I figure it will cost $10-15 in parts to build the DIY harness and I suck at electronics/soldering and the Casper harness will cost $23. Im just wondering if anyone has tried the Casper harness out?

The SU-176 IAT is $18 at Autozone and is the one I was going to get if the cheap one on Ebay isnt decent enough.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks. I just thought about it....I could always extend the 2 wires going to the IAT sensor if the harness isnt long enough.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the casper harness. Ill post if it is not long enough to mount the sensor where it needs to be.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Go to kragen and get the 2002 Camaro IAT they have, should be 10-11$, and would work as it should for the G8 application. Also the Casper harness should be long enough for your Spectre air filter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is the one I was going to pick up at lunch today. oreillyauto Part # 2ATS7

·
Registered
64 Posts
What grommet is everyone using for these?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What grommet is everyone using for these?
I read today that the Duralast 42058 at autozone works and that you can find the right size grommet from any parts store in their help section.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a AC Delco sensor the other day. I just have to wait for it to come in and then buy a grommet. Does the sensor have to be mounted in the direct air flow of the intake tube or can I mount it somewhere inside the heat shield of my Spectre intake (somewhere near my filter inside of the heat shield)?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
FWIW, here is the placement of my su176 in a VCM OTR.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool. Thanks for the picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts