Pontiac G8 Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Another morning update; I was just looking around more bored than anything on the internet and I found an article on the GM 3.6, and the engineer made a specific note about what happens when you run the engine oil level low, here is the quote. "Interestingly, the first sign of this problem is sometimes a trouble code for a cylinder misfire or a camshaft sensor. What happens is that when the oil level is low, the cam phasers do not get enough oil to move consistently in response to the engine control computer. This effectively results in bad valve timing, which can result in poor in-cylinder mixture control."

Well I've had both issues almost in perfect conjunction with each other, immediately following an oil change, so I figured I would double verify that I've been doing this right. 7.1 quarts of oil is full, right? I know it may be a long shot, and I've checked the oil more than a couple of times, and every time the dipstick shows it as full, but I can't wrap my head around why the issue is so perfectly in conjunction with what this tech said. Here's the full article. Eye on Electronics | Fixing GM 3.6L Engine Problems | MOTOR Magazine

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
7.1 quarts of oil is full, but it never hurts to recheck the engine level on a level surface after the car has been sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I usually keep my 3.6L overfilled by 250-500ml.
I know many say this is bad since oil hitting the crank gets aerated and thins but I've done this with all the cars I've ever owned.
With the exception of a few, most engines lived well into the 300K range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm gonna preface this update with the note of; if you're looking in this thread to try and figure out what's wrong with your car and are looking for things to check, disregard this update entirely, as this was an issue I suspected but could never actually go through with checking. With that out of the way, here's the final update to this saga of ****ery lol.

I dropped the G8 off at the Auto shop on the 19th and told them to do any and every check even slightly related to the VVT system to try and figure out what was going on, so they did. They came back to me with camshaft end play being out of spec and the timing chain being just barely in spec, by like, .0 something. I've got the car back and it has fits every so often, but at this point,I'm going to replace the G8, but I will be keeping it. The car owes me nothing as far as I'm concerned, I paid 1500$, spent probably 1000$ in maintenance since then, and it's gotten me a little over 10,000 miles.

At this point, my two options for the car is to go all out with the heads, and get Mace camshafts and rebuild the whole engine, or commit a sin and LS swap it. Either way, I will simply be driving this block till it gives out, and I will happily document everything it does until that point in a separate thread, I'm already in the process of looking for either a C5 Vette, or a Fiesta ST. Regardless, I love this car and color to bits, and I will be holding onto it and giving it new life. Thank you all for your help, I really do appreciate it! Ya'll are the best!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
One thing I will mention is in some cases its the chain guides that have worn causing the chains to be out of spec.
I've heard various costs for doing the chains and/or guides, did the shop give you a price for doing the work.
The LS swap can be a logistical nightmare without a donor GT.
For the money you have in it I'd be pro-active and do chains and/or guides before I really hurt it.
My .02 cents FWIW.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I would just do the work with my father again like last time, 400-500 dollars in parts and a few days off. Problem being, home is 2000 miles away, and I'm currently on lock down cause Covid. I am well aware of the logistics nightmare, as I've read all the threads and have a general idea of how bad it would be, I have no intentions of getting into that mess for a multitude of months, if at all. Thank you for the advice, it's appreciated BAS.

Reactions: BAS G8
41 - 46 of 46 Posts