Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lone Star State
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on the forum know of anyone with an LS9 crate engine in their G8?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Never heard of anyone doing it. Don't know why anyone would either considering you could build an even stronger LS3 for 1/3 the price.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Hasn't been done yet. Would be nice to see though!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Would be cool, but pricey... Certainly would have the "it," factor.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Would it be worth it for the cost? I can think of alternative routes to get the same horsepower at half the price point.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Would it be worth it for the cost? I can think of alternative routes to get the same horsepower at half the price point.
Not to me, I would just build a really bad ass LS3 for a 1/4th of the cost. But if you can drop 35k on a motor like that, it's probably chump change to them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
but and LSA blower on an LS3 and its basically the same thing, I know a guy right now is putting the LSA blower in his car, but I dont remember if its an L76 or LS3

·
Registered
753 Posts
Do these blocks have the same specs as the first gen 454 small block?? If so, I would not do it. Cyl wall thickness is right on the edge and they do not recommend going past factory pressures.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How would you build an LS3 stronger than a LS9?
Both are basically the same engine, 6.2L small block, but the LS9 is supercharged from factory. New headers, cam, stall, maggie, and a tune would probably be more powerful than a stock LS9 and would probably cost 10k less than a crate LS9, which is 21k.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both are basically the same engine, 6.2L small block, but the LS9 is supercharged from factory. New headers, cam, stall, maggie, and a tune would probably be more powerful than a stock LS9 and would probably cost 10k less than a crate LS9, which is 21k.
I was thinking about the LS9's durability features, like oil jets to cool the pistons, thicker head bolts, and stronger block and heads. The block and heads are the same design as LS3/L92, but use the "roto-cast" method to make the aluminum more dense. The LS9 block also uses billet steel main caps instead of cast iron.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The best way to do this is have a top engine builder build you a 415-418ci LS3 using all the best parts, then hang twin turbos on it, and drop that in your ZR1. Then, take the old LS9 and put it in your G8. That way the LS9 is free, you only have to pay labor, or just do it yourself!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.