Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are there any detailed guides on changing spark plugs on a 2009 V6 G8?

It would be like 80-90% cheaper than dealership, buying tools and spark plugs.

Only concern is, after i take old spark plugs out, do i need to do anything other than just pop all 6 spark plugs into engine? (minus putting parts back together as they were before taking old spark plugs out) Do i need to replace oxygen sensors or anything else.

People say it's an easy job, but rather not follow a different model car video on changing spark plugs, in case i screw something up.

Scared about making sure i don't mess up the spark plug threads when screwing back in also.

Anyone know of any detailed guides with pictures or anything, and or tips or tricks etc?

By the way, i plan on getting NGK spark plugs. How long does it usually take a dealership to install all spark plugs? (wondering)

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
I'll chime in and offer a litter insight. Changing the spark plugs on the G8 is pretty straight forward. A mechanic once showed me how to do it and I am relatively sure I could do it on my own the next go round. I believe there are a total of four bolts and the toughest one is located towards the very back of the manifold. You'll have to unbolt the intake manifold and use something to prop it up. Remove the coil packs. Use a 5/8 spark plug wrench to remove the old spark plugs. TIP: Spray some WD-40 or equivalent inside the rubber spark plug both initially and periodically to allow for easy insertion and removal of spark plug. We didn't plug the valleys going down into the motor, but be sure no debris falls down the openings. Some people recommend changing the upper intake manifold gasket. However, at a little over 60,000 miles the original one looked good. Installing the new plugs is just as easy and they should come pre-gapped. When tightening the spark plug, he recommended 3/4 turn past snug once the plug is seated. No need to tighten each plug like you're in a fight for your life and risk stripping the threads. Unless, you have a bad coil pack, don't see a need to replace anything else except for perhaps, preventative maintenance. Pretty sure I left out alot and if anything else comes to mind, will edit thread accordingly. Good luck.

As far as tools are concerned a ratchet wrench (3/8 or 1/2) with at least two different size extensions. 5/8 spark plug wrench (must have rubber boot inside). Spray lubricant. And, of course, six spark plugs.

I haven't a clue how long it would take the stealership to change sparks, but I venture to say their labor rate would be north of $100. An experienced mechanic, should be able to change them in a hour or less.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Hazer for posting a link to the install guide, that will help me out a lot. I am getting all my parts ordered and together to do the spark plugs on the car soon. I was wondering if anyone knows, once I start to reinstall the manifold is there a torque spec that it should be tightened down to? Thanks again.

·
OGOC Member
2,649 Posts
Did mine and its easy and I put a new intake gasket on to be sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.