Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife sits in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag light still says it's off. When I sit there, it works right. My thought is that this crappy leather has hardened so much that she doesn't stretch it enough for the sensor to detect her. I had the sensor recalibrated not too long after I bought the car for the same problem and it was ok for a long time. But in the last several months, it started misbehaving again. What can I do, short of spending a bunch of money at a dealer and probably being told they can't get parts?

·
F1rehawk
677 Posts
Spend money on groceries and feed your wife.

Kidding of course. Hopefully someone can chime in!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swear she eats potato chips all the damn day long and still just weighs 100 pounds.

·
F1rehawk
677 Posts
I swear she eats potato chips all the damn day long and still just weighs 100 pounds.
I wish I could do the same without repercussions (weight gain and deadly farts) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
IIRC, there was a TSB for this way back when.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, and they re-calibrated it.

Hoping for a free physical tweak that doesn't require a dealer trip. Like inserting something under the sensor to raise it up...?

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Was pondering along the same lines to either raise the sensor a bit or place something stiffer between the seat's bottom and sensor's top. Theoretically, one or both might work. :unsure: Good luck

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Get a....cough...excellent Spouse Life Insurance Policy?

So I have the same problem with my amazing wife, had it in my first G8 GT back in 2010-2013, then again now in my '09 GXP...at least there's a seatbelt!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can recalibrate it yourself using that Tech 2 tool I keep mentioning.
I think I've missed that one. Link?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Several years ago I ran a test to see what the actual tripping weight was in my car. After placing any amount of weight on that seat pan, you have to wait for about 5 seconds before any response is sensed. I think it wants to make sure that the weight sensed is continuous before activating or deactivating that airbag circuit (like to disregard those times when a body lifts off the seat pan for a moment going over a big bump) I remember the weight needed in my car (to arm the airbag) was about 45 to 47 lbs. I also think the weight "has" to be in what GM considers as the correct siting area of that seat pan. As in, having the weight to far forward (vs all the way to the seat back position) messes up the total weight sensed. Having that seat pan sensor calibrated to zero (with nothing in it) is necessary to have that circuit perform as intended. Maybe some of the zones of the total pressure pad have lost their ability to sense pressure. That would mean even more weight would be required for the remaining zones of the pad to reach that weight tripping point. Maybe the zero weight setting of that seat has gone astray, Like sensing a fairly high negative value weight with nothing in it, making it require to see even more total weight sensed in order to get the system to arm the bag.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I think I've missed that one. Link?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts