Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
11 second bolt-on car!
212 Posts
I disconnect my battery for storage but I close the trunk latch before I disconnect the battery. That way I can never lock myself out.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
So you crawl through the pass-thru to accomplish that?

·
11 second bolt-on car!
212 Posts
So you crawl through the pass-thru to accomplish that?
I open the trunk, push the latch with my finger or a screwdriver disconnect the battery and then close the trunk. The trunk won't latch as the latch has already been closed. Granted, My car is stored in a garage/shop.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
"Billford2512" >>>> Does your post mean you've been there done that with the G8 ? Or are you just guessing/assuming that it can be solved that way with the G8.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dumb safety question here: Do the door locks fail locked in the absence of current such that the door cannot be opened from the inside using the door handle...similar to how they are disabled when the car is in gear?? Never tried to open my door from the inside without the battery working. Will it open? If not, maybe I am asking a dumb question here, but what if you are inside the car and can't get through the crawl through?

The reason I ask is because last summer there was an older gentleman and his dog who died in his Corvette in a Waffle House parking lot in Port Arthur Texas. His battery failed and when he turned off the car to go inside he couldn't get out. Literally died right there from the heat.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Dumb safety question here: Do the door locks fail locked in the absence of current such that the door cannot be opened from the inside using the door handle...similar to how they are disabled when the car is in gear?? Never tried to open my door from the inside without the battery working. Will it open? If not, maybe I am asking a dumb question here, but what if you are inside the car and can't get through the crawl through?

The reason I ask is because last summer there was an older gentleman and his dog who died in his Corvette in a Waffle House parking lot in Port Arthur Texas. His battery failed and when he turned off the car to go inside he couldn't get out. Literally died right there from the heat.
Good question and have never considered the notion, however, would use a sharp object or tool to break the door glass since it can always be replaced. The same principal applies to changing a tire on the side of the road unless it has an unusually wide shoulder, then driving to the nearest exit (if possible) is the preferred course of action. Would much rather purchase a tire and rim than risk the chance of an unfortunate event since there are far too many distracted, bad, inebriated, etc. drivers on the road. What could potentially get most people is what to do if the seat-belt wouldn't unlatch and they couldn't reach their cellular phone? Fortunately, there's a tool available with a sharp point and cutter in order to escape if either situation were to arise. Needless to say, this tool is in every vehicle I frequently ride or drive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, I carry one of those carbide-tipped hammer/seatbelt slicing combo tools in my G8. Not to hijack the thread about the trunk not opening, but getting out of the car is important too. This has been one of the more informative threads on here in a long time. Nice to know all can be remedied by pulling the grills and accessing under the hood. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
As for getting out without power, I'm thinking now of carrying one of those lithium ion jump packs in the cabin with me. Put a cigarette lighter plug on it and plug into the accessory power port. Just might work, and surely would save a window.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Or, if one has roadside assistance, call and say they're stuck inside their vehicle and request a locksmith. Alternatively, pop the hood and give the battery just enough of a charge necessary to power up the door locks.

·
11 second bolt-on car!
212 Posts

That's a shame! I'm guessing he was unaware of the hatch release cable. The same thing happened to my father-in-law in his garage. He called his wife on her cell phone to come out with the spare key and open the hatch. After the fact, I informed him there was a lever down near the door sill that releases the latch for the door.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
That's a shame! I'm guessing he was unaware of the hatch release cable...
Seems like this would be a standard feature on every General Motors vehicle.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You can unlock the door from the insde without the battery I do it every year when I put the car in storage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reading through this thread and hearing the horrible story about the elderly gentleman and his dog being trapped inside his car on a hot day made me think about sharing a thought.

If you ever find yourself in this dire of a situation, remember your seat belt. Using the part of the seatbelt that you handle every time you buckle up, attempt to break the side window with the most pointy section.

Breaking car windows (not windshields) is all about directing as much force into the smallest area as possible.

Another tool for this is the headrest. If you pull out your headrest all the way, you will notice that the steel posts might be helpful glass breakers in an emergency.

Living in Florida I think about this kind of thing all the time. We have hot weather all year long and water hazzards everywhere...lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One more thought. If you ever find yourself in a sinking vehicle and cannot get the door open because of the water pressure pushing in on the door remain calm. Allow the car to fill with water. Take some deep breaths to oxygenate your bloodstream while you still can.

Once the car fills with water the pressure will equalize. You should then be able to open the door and escape.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts