Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Consultant
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING LONG POST/RANT....
As of late I have been hearing a clunking sound coming from the front when i hit bumps... "Oh great the LCA's are going out again" was my thought. I took the car into the dealership in the area to be looked at. They had the car 3 days and said they could not hear the sound I was talking about, so i picked the car up. That next week i got a call from their customer service rep to ask how I liked services that were provided. I told her everyone was great, but they could not find the issue. A day later I get a call from the service manager, and he asks me to bring the car back in to be looked at... So i did, but this time I took the service manager out in my car so he could hear what was going on.. Magic!!! He heard the sound I was hearing. They kept the car for two days to find out what was going on. I had to call back the afternoon of the second day to ask the status of the issue. I was told "We think we might know we had a similar issue with another car a while back.. We think it's the caliper pins, they need replaced, but we don't sell just the pins you have to buy all new calipers". I asked if they were 100% sure if that was the issue. "Well we think that's the problem, your calipers have some play in them and that is what your hearing". Then I asked how much. $900 and some change.... Has anyone heard of anything like this?

LCA's are fine btw.

:rant:

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
No dealership is going to know the car as well as the owner, when it comes to petrol heads like myself. I can't count how many times I've had to take the service manager for rides to point out flaws. Not just GM dealerships, Ford and Dodge as well.

FYI
I had a loose caliper bracket, which was replaced under warranty. It made a faint knocking sound over control joints, and uneven pavement. I could feel it in the floor board when it happened.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WARNING LONG POST/RANT....
As of late I have been hearing a clunking sound coming from the front when i hit bumps... "Oh great the LCA's are going out again" was my thought. I took the car into the dealership in the area to be looked at. They had the car 3 days and said they could not hear the sound I was talking about, so i picked the car up. That next week i got a call from their customer service rep to ask how I liked services that were provided. I told her everyone was great, but they could not find the issue. A day later I get a call from the service manager, and he asks me to bring the car back in to be looked at... So i did, but this time I took the service manager out in my car so he could hear what was going on.. Magic!!! He heard the sound I was hearing. They kept the car for two days to find out what was going on. I had to call back the afternoon of the second day to ask the status of the issue. I was told "We think we might know we had a similar issue with another car a while back.. We think it's the caliper pins, they need replaced, but we don't sell just the pins you have to buy all new calipers". I asked if they were 100% sure if that was the issue. "Well we think that's the problem, your calipers have some play in them and that is what your hearing". Then I asked how much. $900 and some change.... Has anyone heard of anything like this?

LCA's are fine btw.

:rant:
I completely understand all the frustration and other emotions that you might be experiencing with the entire situation to include the dealership. I have read your post and it seems as the dealership is trying to work with you on getting your concern resolved, but if you do not completely trust their diagnosis you can visit another General Motors dealership for a second opinion.

From the information I have available to me, the calipers should fall under the new vehicle Bumper To Bumper warranty which it looks like you might be out of on the age of the vehicle.

Please, let me know what you have decided to do.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine experienced a similar mystery noise in the front...turned out to be bad bushings on the front sway bar...there is a tsb out there...before the dealer actually fround the problem they replaced the strut bushings and door strykers...there was no issues with the lca

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
atawse
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing