Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am looking to get my G8 tuned very soon and while I was looking to get a personal tune, I am thinking about going the Cortex or Vivid Linq route.

I would typically have a personal tune done however, I would rather not drive back down to Livernois every time I want to change something and I have heard some scary stories about Vector motor sports. With that being the case I am really out of options in Mid-Michigan.

In the past I had bought a Diablosport Trinity for my GP GXP and I had horrible luck with the device and the customer support at Diablosport, so I am staying FAR away from them.

This is leaving me with either the Cortex or the Vivid Linq. Now reading through countless threads on the Cortex is sounds like the customer service over there isn't so hot either :( and I just want a reliable/trustworthy option in a handheld tuner. With the Cortex I read some early problems with how the car was shifting and in one of the threads someone from Cortex chimed in and said that it was in fact a flaw in their tune and it was due to be fixed. Was this ever fixed?? I couldn't find any posts confirming this.

With the VIVID Linq, my main concern is the lack of reviews on the unit in the G8 community. I see a couple threads about them but no full on reviews. I would like to have the live data stream that the linq offers but I want to make sure that all the tuning capabilities that the Cortex offers stay intact. (I.e Shift points, tire size changes for speedo , shift firmness etc.) If someone has one of these on their G8 can you confirm they are their?

Finally, Is it possible to have separate shift firmness on "normal" mode and "sport" mode? I've heard you can set that up in HPTuners but is it possible with these Superchips devices?

Sorry about the lengthy post but I want to make sure I buy something that I like :wink2:

EDIT: I did notice their is a new topic below that is addressing this question as well but I feel I needed a little more info that the OP was asking**

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
I can only comment on the Superchips Cortex, if you do not mod past intake and catback/axelback exhaust these are awesome upgrade for the money. And "no" you cannot differentiate shift firmness between Normal and Sport. It is set in 25% increments - or + compared to stock setting. Most seem to like +25 or +50.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Link, it's been on the car over a year now. All in all I am satisfied with it for bolt ons. There is no "sport mode or normal mode" adjustments. All your mods are done in percentages. But the trans tune is awesome! When I get on it I can squak the tires in every gear shift up to and in to 4th. I have called SC several times with questions and have had good results. At first I had some problems with my phone linking with the unit but now it works great. You will get a notification when there is an update ready.
I have the linc, Varam cai, and dynomax cat back. On street tires, pouring smoke off the tires well past the 60' I ran a consistent 13:00 quarter mile. I hope this helps, if your ever on the east side and want to play with it let me know in advance and I'll pm you my ph# and we'll meet up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would typically have a personal tune done however, I would rather not drive back down to Livernois every time I want to change something
There is always the option of our tuning device for the car, this allows you to get all of the adjustability you are looking for, without the need of driving down for adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts