Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously understanding the purpose of heat shields in general, but are the ones over the mufflers necessary? Both of the heat shields back there have torn away from at least one of the bolts that hold them, so they just kind of hang there. I'm trying to decide if I need to try to replace them, find some sort of washer-based solution (or something with a wider surface area than the bolt to try to hold it), or just take them off and not worry about it. Anyone have any suggestions/advice?

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Want to say they are not required, but heard of certain exhaust tips melting the diffuser (GXP). However, that's neither here no there since the tips extend well beyond the heat shield.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Want to say they are not required, but heard of certain exhaust tips melting the diffuser (GXP). However, that's neither here no there since the tips extend well beyond the heat shield.
Thanks for that insight. I just have the stock GT exhaust on mine, but I wasn't sure if things really got hot enough under there to mess with the trunk or things around it.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good write-up. I'm thinking that I won't be too bad off if I just get rid of them. I just don't know if I really feel like hunting down part numbers and spending way too much money for custom-made heavy duty aluminum foil... :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just ripped off the one over the mid muffler cause it got loose and started rubbing on the driveshaft. I wouldn't worry about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts