Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my G8 has ended up at the dealership for the 3rd time in 2 months. First time I had the sunroof adjusted, rear glass replaced, and the rear door locked replaced. Fast forward last week I took it in for oil pressure switch/sensor replaced, free oil change, and 2 blown speakers" I know the speakers terrible but they free." Well I pick it up Friday and before I even leave town the check engine light comes back on. I call and the shop has closed so I had to make a another trip today to get the light checked again. Well its throwing same code and they are saying the switch/sensor is good and they are saying the computer is acting funny. Hope the issues stop because im tired of driving the sonic/spark rentals lol. Little worried now since the car has had the camshaft and waterpump replaced a few years back. Hope I don't have a pile of @#$%. When I do have it I love the car to death, maybe this will be the last time. Fingers crossed!!!!

·
Registered
2008 GT
419 Posts
Sucks to hear your car is having all those issues. My car has been to the dealership once in 2 years that I've had the car and that was just to get the tire pressure sensors straightened out.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Man that blows. Hope things get worked our

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
not the first G8 to have issues with the oil pressure sensor. Since it's a dealer issue, I'm sure it will get sorted out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called today and was told the tech who usually works on my car is off and they had a another tech looking at issue. They said so far they pretty much dont know what's wrong said maybe computer uggg. Wonder if they are checking oil pump and related. I just want my car back got a xpipe waiting on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got car back yesterday they said they didnt correctly reset light I'm like huh lol. So I get the car 15 miles from dealership and the light came on again and I'm like good grief. They said they drove it all day and the light never came on. So I had all my gas wasted for nothing and I have to take it back for the 3rd time. My rental was a Chevy spark, what's next a moped.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That sucks . Would of asked for them to fill my tank at this point.

·
Registered
2008 GT
419 Posts
You may want to start looking at another dealership from the way it sounds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I had the cam replaced at 113K miles and the CEL started coming on at 118K miles. Dealer said low oil pressure, but I had a new oil pump installed at 65K, but they put in a new oil pump and oil pressure sensor and the CEL still comes on occasionally. They were saying either do a complete teardown or replace the engine. I researched the repair and found out that when they replaced the cam they only replaced half the lifters (I questioned them on this before leaving with the new cam installed).

I discovered they installed the wrong cam and the non AFM lifters were out of an LS2. The L76 lifters have the oil feed at a 90 degree different angle than the LS2 lifters and the cam is also a different part number from 08 to 09. They put in a 2008 cam instead of the 2009 part number. After pointing this out they are replacing the cam and all the lifters this time.

Right now the car is torn down at the dealer, they ordered the right cam but they sold it before I could bring the car in, and had to reorder the right cam. I hope this solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Interesting fact to me, is that the service manual says that any bad oil pressure sensing condition turns on the engine oil icon in the IP. It *does not* cause the MIL (check engine light) to illuminate. Course this could be yet another printing error by GMs tech writers. But I tend to believe what is said to be correct, on this item.
Exactly what is the fault code or codes found by the dealer. It almost sounds like there doing double duty here. Spinning their wheels, an trying to pick your pockets at the same time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cannot remember the code off the top of my head but it is throwing maybe p0521. Its says oil pressure voltage switch. Maybe the CPU on car is spazzing out on me.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well got car back yesterday they said they didnt correctly reset light I'm like huh lol. So I get the car 15 miles from dealership and the light came on again and I'm like good grief. They said they drove it all day and the light never came on. So I had all my gas wasted for nothing and I have to take it back for the 3rd time. My rental was a Chevy spark, what's next a moped.
Sincere apologies to hear what you've been dealing with. I would be more than happy to monitor these concerns for you. Feel free to private message me regarding this situation. I look forward to it!

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
P0521 sounds like the one (from your memory) on this problem. If the sensor starts sending back a voltage reading *not within* the 1 to 4 volt range (to the ECM) which would equal less than 1 or more than 127 psi, the ECM will illuminate that oil pressure icon.
I'm thinking that when the oil pressure icon has been on, and you continued driving (even if just back to the dealer), and engine clattering/hammering has not become apparent, you would have to believe that oil pressure is still within the safe working range. I have not figured out (from your posts) *if* one of those visits included a new oil pressure sensor, or if it turned into a (well the sensor checks OK type fix) and now please take your car an go away.
They show a meter reading check you can perform to eliminate the ECM (all 3 wires from the sensor go to the ECM). But it looks like you either want, or have to, rely on the dealer for maint. So I'll pass on posting some good T/S checks you could do, to track down the source here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They did replace the sensor the first time I had it up there. I know what the code is because I have the cortex to read codes. So same problem is showing up every time. They said they monitored the oil pressure and everything looked good on that end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the dealership finally listened to me. Told them that the light comes on when car is coasting under light loads. So they tested oil pressure during coasting conditions and found it is under optimal working level. So they are replacing the oil pump which is what I thought it was the first time I took car in for service. Well my car already has new cam and water pump might as well have a new oil pump lol. Just hope this is not a pattern Ill have to go thru for years to come.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to update my issues with this oil pressure issue. So my oil pump was replaced due to the pressure readings while coasting was below factory spec. I pick car up sat everything seemed good. Got in car sun to go to store guess what???? Lol light back on I check code and same old issue. This is getting to be a pain in the @#$. I have rental cars more often than my g8. Calling dealership in morning. Wonder if cam bearing could be bad just had sum one tell me that recently. Love wasting all this gas over and over making the trip to the dealership. Always nice when I pick car up my car and it always has the low fuel light on. You would think they would put sum gas back in. I was actually worried if I was going to make it to the gas station .

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Tell these people to go **** themselves. Go somewhere worth it, way too much coincidence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.