Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't someone come up with an improved "kit" for the 3.6 V6. This would be for the timing chains, gears, washers and cams. The Caddy CTS runs the 3.6 and so does the Camaro. Seems there would be a big market to fix a big problem.

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
Better yet, why can't GM fix THEIR problem? They designed and built the engien thru Holden. Are they just hopeing only a few will fail with in the warrenty period?

Now you know part of the reason I turned mine in and will not buy another GM product.

·
Who is John Galt?
749 Posts
Better yet, why can't GM fix THEIR problem? They designed and built the engien thru Holden. Are they just hopeing only a few will fail with in the warrenty period?

Now you know part of the reason I turned mine in and will not buy another GM product.
How many negative rants about gm do you intend to post? What is this like your 10th? OP is asking about performance upgrades for his car- if you can't contribute to his question maybe its time to move on to the Hyundai forums.

Just my two cents...

Sorry OP- I too can't contribute anything to your question...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chief, I am with you, but i don't think they give a sh--. Just like the strut tower bushings and bearings, and the front LCAs. All I want are better designed and better quality. Neither it seems will come from GM. BUT you would think that some other company might see a large market and develop them. Just like Pedders, Spohn and BMR did on the suspension parts. They saw a need, saw a market and built a better mouse trap. That said, I am in agreement that its my last GM.

·
I can haz cheesburger?
329 Posts
It might have to do with the availability of cars. While there were a good number of G8s produced, the car has been discontinued. Maybe aftermarket producers just don't see enough people wanting "upgrades" to V6 models to warranty spending $$$ on production and distribution.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I agree with others, Chief: lets please "move on" and get away from the rants. We get it, you hate your buyback lemon. Thanks!

As far as this thread topic... My belief is that the limited production of the 3.6L LY7 (as contrasted with the latter generation LLT 3.6L Direct Injected Engine that made it into the V6 camaro as well as the Caddy base engine offerings) may be partially to blame.

Had the G8 had a longer production run, it's said that the LLT 3.6 would have been slated for the 2010 V6 G8, both increasing fuel economy ratings, aftermarket support (imagine plug and play camaro/caddy market header compatibility and that opens up a whole new realm of possibilities!) and performance to boot.

Such a shame. I would have considered an LLT G8 had one ever been offered, it's a stout little engine that body-builds at the gym. lol

Ahhh, failed gm is still failed. :(

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same engine is used in the Caddy CTS and Camaro, except for the DI the internals are the same, right?

·
Registered
864 Posts
:popcorn2:

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
If you had to deal with GM, GM Customer Service and GM corropraite like I had to, you would be bitter as well.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make that you missed is that this engine is in a lot of GM products. More than the G8, Camaro and Caddy. It's also in buicks and GMC cars and SUV's. All have the same inherient bad design of the cam's, timming chains etc.

So why cant GM fix the problem? That is what the OP and I are asking. Performane enhancement parts are a different story and I know that. For performance cams, it's a lot of work to try and design a better cam since these are variable timming/duration cams for both intake and exhaust. About the only thing that they could change would be the amount of lift. But there are other issues with adding lift as in clearances between valve and piston at different durations.

At this point the motor is pretty much maxed out without going to DI or power adders which is evident from the one tune that is available for this motor. They gained a whopping 4 HP and 5 TQ with their tune.

Also why would an aftermarket company invest money into replacement chains/tensioners if there is no market for them? replacing them does no enhance performance. And most of the failures happen within the power train warrenty so no one would be replacing them just because.

So untill GM can fix the actual chain problem, there are going to be a lot more unhappy GM owners like me.

Ansd if you'd really like to know the whole story on my issue, there is a thread on it in the V6 Tech forum titled possible cam issue. There is also another thread on the cam issue with pictures in there as well form a caddy failure. And now there is a third thread on here from another G8 failure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I fully understand this situation. Pray that it happens before the warranty runs out. This will give you about another 50K miles of happy motoring. Now we are OUT of warranty, and the problem reoccurs (similiar with the synchros in my Honda V6 - 6spd MT) So whats the repair bill now? This is why I wish someone would make better quality replacement parts. Not for performance but rather for durability. Guess I better start looking for a replacement car. The pickings are few for RWD. Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Hyuandi, these are my short list.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It falls under the 5 year 100,000km powertrain warranty so if it doesn't fail before then,you got a good one.Chief just got a lemon and let his anger get to him and decided to go Korean and now hates GM products.If it happened to me oh well just buy another one,I wont support the jap crap ever!

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
schwartz, your a little off base. Hyundai is Korean, not Japanies. And a lot of the japanies cars are made here in the states. ;) You are right, it's a 5 year/100K warrenty but 5 years come sfast. And when I asked them about having problems with the motor they just messed up past that, they laughed.

And yes,I got a lemon. tried for years to work with them and get things fixed. But after 32 times in the shop in 3 years and then haveing the motor problems that I had, It was time to cut my losses and move on. Also for me, there was nothing in the GM inventory that I liked. The holyier than thou atttitude I got from Customer Service and Coorporiate was the final straw for me to move on and never return.

I still own a '04 Chevy truck and will keep it. But I will not buy new and support a company that thinks they are better than their customers. GM Customer Service is a joke and the quality of their products continues to go down hill. Remember all of the problems people had with their GTO's?

I wish you all luck and they you don't have to go thru what I did.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I followed the Chief's problem pretty close. I agree with him that GM could have handled the problem more effectively and cost effective for GM itself. I don't think that GM is the only car company that has poor customer service. Example, the 2007 Accord V6 6 spd MT Sedan. Made one year with the MT. Loved the car, until 25k miles and the synchronizers started going out. TSB was issued, car brought in and fixed. Fixed of course with the same BS parts as before. 12K miles later, same problem started. Honda said don't worry its covered under the warranty. Sounds good until the warranty runs out. Plus I got tired of having the trans pulled every 20K. Like changing oil I guess. Anyway, thats thier answer. So I got rid of the car and went with the G8. Well that started a new set of BS problems. The difference was the way the companies handled the problem. One was no hassle, and the other is. Just waiting for the codes to appear. Good luck Chief with the new car. Schwartz hope you are right and it will not be ALL 3.6 V6s that have the problem. But BTW, what is the cost $$$ of repairs if it is out of warranty? Anyone know?

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
Panzer,
I hope you get yours fixed and it works out. You've read my thread so you know what to look for when you get it back. Hopefully yours works out better than mine did. I wish that nightmare on no one. It was so bad that even the wife started asking when was the car going to be gone. She usually dosen't car about cars.

Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No worries Chief,it just upsets me to hear all the problems you had with yours knowing the same could happen to any one of us.I just hate to see LY7 owners disappear and jump into a non GM car.I know you had some nice bolt ons and its a shame it all had to come off because of this.Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't it you that had the first LY7 UDP installed? I have that pulley and just can't get myself to install it knowing it could do harm to the drive train.If you did have that UDP did all the problems start before or after the install?Once again,not sure if it was you that had it or not.Good luck with your new ride,no offence but im just not into asian cars.All the best:driving:

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
Sorry Schwarts, I didn't have the UDP. I'm the one who had the prototype Magnaflow cat back exhaust system that they decided not to produce. Wrote a thread of it all in the tech forum. I took it of and sold it to Duffman for basically shipping and a few bucks for my time.

No worries here. As I stated in another thread, if it was not for my grandfather saying to pull into the Hyundai dealer, I would probably be driving a Ford Tarus SHO AWD right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts